Right Hemi Colectomy following Appendicitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi.  My name is Jan.  I have had a procedure, a Right Hemicolectomy and I am hoping someone here might be able to offer me some advice or share their experience if they too have had a Right Hemicolectomy.   Just a quick background- I went in to hospital on 11-12-14 expecting nthing more than an appendectomey.  When I awoke in recovery I knew something more drastic had been done and learned they had to do a Right Hemicolectomy as there was a large mass and great infection in my bowel.  It was quite a shock, to say the least.  They did the procedure through an open surgery and left me with about a 5 inch long incision.

On Boxing day, about 3 weeks later my wound blew open and a massive amount of infection poured out.  I went back to hospital where they put me under anestesia and drained the wound.  They decided to leave to wound open and pack in with a dressing to let it continue to drain.

The following day, a District Nurse came to the house to check the wound and when she removed the dressing the room filled with an awful odour and feacal matter was oozing out of the hole in my tummy.  This too was quite a shock and very upsetting to me.  

Back to hospital - they checked it out and believed a fistula had formed and they reccomended using a Stoma Bag to catch the draining feacel matter.  

a few wekks later, I had a second infection which blew out another spot in my wound - back to hospital - treated and sent home - 2 dressings - the stoma bag and traditional packed dressing.  No more feacel matter, just a beige ooze from my site.  Sometimes foul smelling but not of feacel.  

I am now 2 months and 2 weeks post surgery.  I had the stoma bag treatment end last week and am now using normal dressing though there is still a lot of output and these need changing 2-3 sometims 4 times a day. 

Again, outflow is light brown, sometimes smells almost what I would conisder "Bad breathe".  Sometimes the outflow is nearly black - a very very dark brown and when this happens in is painful.  Other times not so much.  

Phew - if you made it this far, thank you  That brings me up to where I am now.

I feel disheartened and find this procedure difficult to cope with in some ways because I cannot see any measurable improvement - the hole in my tummy is still draining, is still painful,  it still looks the same width (about 3 cm) and I just feel like there is change or no end in sight?  

Can anyone else share any information, experience, advice with me that might help?  I don;t understand why the outflow changes colours and why it hurts when it is dark but not when it is light in colour.  How long does it take for a hole in your gut to heal?

Also, my bowel functions were absolutely perfect immediately following the surger - the first 2-3 weeks or more - but now - I have at times URGENT needs to open my bowels, and feel I may not make it to the toilet. This is a worry when I am on the trains, or walking to work, etc. I have not yet returned to work yet, but still worry.   This can occur 3 or 4 times a day whereas before and for my whole life, I was a one a day kinda gal.  The substance is very loose, and at times painful to go and there is bright red blood on the tissue.  (I do have a history of piles which were surgically repaired over a year ago).

Well, thats me, inside and out.

Thanks for your interest and any guidance you can offer.

​Jan

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I know this post is 4 months old just wondered how you are getting on as this sounds like me.
  • Posted

Hi Lisa,

Well, I am doing better, thank you, but still not completely healed.  The hole is still open but nearly the end - its close to being healed completely.  I am now just using a loose bit of gauze taped over it to prevent any discharge fron staining my clothes, but the amout that come out of the wound now is teeny tiny.  But I still am not able to get under water or swim - it feels like a lifetime.

Also, in my post I mentioned the frequent need to have a bowel movement - that situation got extremely bad.  I was apparently cosntipated and backed right the way up my intestines - the constant need was just bypass and it was the beginning of the worst time of my life.

I developed an anal fissue.  I was taking 12 sachets of Movicol a day, plus a strong magnesium based laxative and fybogel.  For weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks, and nothing was helping.  It got worse and worse - and was the worst pain of my ife.  There were times, I was losing the will, and truly did not know if I would ever make it out the other side.

But I have.  It took about all this time for the fissure to heal, and only has been almost normal for about the last 3 weeks  Its still painful at times, and I need to be careful what i eat - lots of fibre - but I am no longet having to take softeners and laxatives which is a blessing.

My energy level is gone.  I feel about 150 years old.  I have just started going back to work and managing to exercise more now, so hopefully it will return but this has taken a lot out of me.

What is your story?  

• Posted

Hi. I had mine out 12 weeks ago it had already burst several days before I went in. My bowels had wrapped around the appendix and was starting to attach to the abdominal wall also had a gangerous pus filled cyst. Operation took 4 hours and was in hospital a month. They opened my wound (was about 15 cm deep)had a drain, stoma bag tried everything and everything leaked they suspected a fistula then had a vac on for about 3 weeks. Apparently my body is making this stuff and will eventually stop but am beginning to wonder when. The hole is about 2 cm now and having it stuffed with seaweed every 3 days but still green stuff coming out. The other day the nurse said it had got bigger and now have brown stuff although doesn't smell.

Luckily my bowels seem to be working fine had a ct scan to check they had not damaged them as it took about 2 weeks after op for me to go to the toilet.

Am looking forward to having a proper bath when ever that will be. Not gone back to work yet as I work with children and scared of someone running into me but just feels like will never end.

X

• Posted

I know - it does feel endless  sad  But it will come.  I have not had a bath since December - and am longing too - I also have arthritis, and a hot bath was my only happy place.  

They said mine was a fistula too.  

I inly returned to work about 5 weeks ago - part time.  On my first day back to my normal hours, I broke my foot on the way to the train - I fell over.  Was feeling very unlucky.  lol

Hang in there - it does take a long time - I will be honest with you.  I cannot wait to be able to swim again.  ANd bathe properly.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.