Rivaroxaban and need surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I came off Rivaroxaban beg March after 6 months following bilateral PE four weeks after stopping I got bilateral PEs again. Now on Rivaroxaban for life . I have been told today I need abdo surgery for a complex cyst . I'm worried sick now cause of higher risk of blood clots following surgery. Has anyone else had surgery following PEs or whilst on blood thinners only had my last PE two months ago

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, My son had 2 gastro surgeries after a major DVT. He was on nothing after coming off Warfarin but had anticoags during and after surgery and the hosp were meticulous in monitoring his DVT risk. It was all discussed prior to surgery and he felt v confident. He had no underlying blood clotting problems but had the DVT from after his first ever surgery, for UC,  where they didn't assess him as high risk and didn't anti coagulate. So he was a bit nervous about these last 2 surgeries but they were planned and not emergency. He went to John Radcliffe Oxford, GI experts. Good luck. Sheila.
  • Posted

Had Haemmoroid surgery last November after being on Rivaroxaban, and then in December had TURP surgery after being on Apixaban as Rivaroxaban gave me bad nose bleeds. No problems with clots, as stopped both 3 days prior but had the daily injections in the stomach after surgery until going back on tablets. You will find they watch you very closely as they know the risk of clots.
  • Posted

I am now off rivaroxaban but before I decided to come off it my consultant explained that if I did stay on the drug and need an operation in an emergency they can give you an injection which reverses the drug immediately or if you needed a scheduled op you stop taking it for 24 hours have your op and then start on it again. I am sure you will be absolutely fine. Good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.