Rivaroxaban and pain/loss of strength

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I have been taking Rivaroxaban since November 2015 after having a massive DVT and PEs in both lungs. I seem to be having some side effects which include: Pain in muscles and joints, loss of power/strength in same. Fatigue. Weird dreams/nightmares.

Am I alone? Does anyone else have anything similar? Thanks.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello C , Sorry cannot help you , I was offered a non-monitored coag but elected to stay on Warfarin as I seem to be OK self-monitoring without any side-effects . Talk to your GP or consultant about alternatives Apixaban or Dabigtran but because of your traumatic current situation you may have to try and work around it . If it is any comfort I successfully swi

tched to self -monitoring and now work from  my own guide so all is not lost

• Posted

Cheers elfy,

If it proves to be the Rivaroxaban causing the problems, warfarin might be another choice but I wondered what you mean by self monitoring? ? As in INR?

• Posted

Warfarin may not be viable in your condition . I went to self-monitoring about 2-3 years ago , basically I test myself for INR with my own Coaguchek blood analysis device,. I had an advantage because i worked for 7 years in out-of-hours healthcare. Must dash to do some volunteering.
  • Posted

Hello..my hubby had the same as you last October but one lung ..same drug..he has been having vivid/ scary dreams since then ..he is going for an oncology visit on Thursday for scan results and I am going to mention this ..won't do any harm . I will report back  x
  • Posted

hi c i have been on both tabs with side effects.yes you do get very tired and bad dreams if you sleep at all .i didn the worst was the itching 4 nights no sleep. doc put me on steroids,and gave me cream to put on.he has now put me on warfrin.and  heprin injections.you need to speak to your gp to put your mind at rest
  • Posted

My  husband was given R as terrible side effects withwarfarin. The side effects from the Riveroxaban were awful. He didn't get out of the chair for a the two weeks he took it. No energy, always asleep, aches and pains.

He stopped taking itand was back to normal in a couple of days. He is now on Apixaban...not totally side effect free...but much better than any of the others.

• Posted

hi do you mind me asking what side effects your hubby had on warfrin as i have been on them for 3wks now and the only thing i gert is itching.but not as bad as on riv or apixaban side effects where horrendous on both for me.
    • Posted

Eye bleeds, blood blisters on his back, hair loss in chunks, nasty mood swings, aching joints, etc. As soon as he stopped taking them so did the side effects stop.

The riveroxaban left him in a chair within three days of starting...for someone who is on the go all the time this wasn't good. Stopped taking them after seven days.

So far the apixaban has been ok...ish. Still has the odd eye bleed, and sometimes if he doesn't take them with food, the nasty moods, but better than warfarin.

• Posted

Blimey..that's extreme ! Glad to hear he got sorted.. I've been on Warfarin for three years with no problems other than can't get my bloods to settle . Hubby on Riveroxaban with no problems since October , he has blood spots on the back of his hands though.. - but better than another PE . WE are having our bloods done together now ..haha Derby and Joan . 
    • Posted

glad to hear hubby is ok on apixaban.touch  wood i havnt had those side effects been docs today for inrstar test gone from 1.8 to 4.9 of course it was me that had caused it too go high not meds and heperin injections.yes i had moods, even got to the stage where i didnt want to be here anymore.thats when doc took me serious but didnt expect more meds which i have now stopped taking.keep in touch thanks for reply.

• Posted

You can't cause it to go too high...only the amount of medication can do that. Please be careful...as over 4 can cause bleeding
    • Posted

i thanks for reply got too wait until next wednesday to see if any change.not been told to watch out for anything just take this dosage until then.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.