Rizatriptan slurred speech and throat pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone, Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I too suffer from occasional migraines (1 or 2 per month) and have also had them since I started menstruating and suspect that they are tied to that cycle as they seem to pop up around that time. After trying many different methods and pain-killers, I was finally prescribed Maxalt. (the price made me shudder, but as any migraine sufferer will tell you, you can't put a price on relief) I've been taking it for about a year now and lately (last two times I took it) I've noticed that if I don't take a nap immediately after for about 30 mins to an hour, I experience slurred speech, tightness in my throat and chest area and I can't find the right words when I'm trying to communicate. I guess I was starting to think I could just pop a melt and go on with my usual tasks and be just fine, but found that I definitely need to lie down to get the best results. P.S. I really, really hope this pill doesn't lose it's efficacy over time! Thanks!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi, I find I have diffculty expressing myself after taking these too it also affects my memory a bit. It takes longer to take effect the longer I've had a migraine. I alsways try to nap after taking one and that helps too.
  • Posted

I have just been diagnosed with migraines but havent' began the medication. The doctor has reccommended natural cures first. I have migraines a couple times per week, and they always cause me to slur my speech and have tightness in my  throat. The doctors have even noticed white matter in an mRI.. I am not looikng forward to paying for migraine medication! But they are right, you cannot put a price on it.
  • Posted

Hello, I just read your experience about Migraine problem. I got my Migraine for 8 years ago trying lot of medicines but not help. Every month I got a horrible headache can't talk, can't eat plus hate noise. The best result take a nap and that's it.Migrane "headache" gone.Hope this result will help to us...
  • Posted

I have just started taking these, i get lightheaded and need to lay down within the hour, my eyes feel really heavy and i struggle to do anything. However they certainly help with my migraines so im hoping the side effects do calm down eventually! 
  • Posted

i have now been taking these for a while and it is very rare that i get any sde effects however its only happened twicw in the last 3 months but i had awful side effects, so much so i was close to having to go to a&e , i could feel the blood draining from my face, i went so weak i could hardly move and struggled to talk and i had an awful pain in my stomach . i honestly thought i was going to pass out it was terrible, i managed to get to bed but felt like if i fell asleeo i would never wake up, so much so i asked my husband who was at work to riong me every hour until i felt right. luckily by the morning i was back to normal and it hasnt put me off takinf them as yet because it is the only thinf that gets rid of the migraine pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.