Rolling Hiatus Hernia & 270 Fundoplication Op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

Thanks so much to the posters of previous hiatus hernia and reflux op posts, they've helped massively whilst I've been researching the procedure.

I'm going in for the 270 wrap and rolling hiatus hernia repair next Thursday (28th May) and wondered if i could ask those of you who've had this op what prep I should be doing now - did you freeze lots of liquidfied food etc?

Would be really grateful for any tips you have.

Thanks.

0 likes, 17 replies

Report / Delete

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi poppy.

a nutritionist will probably speak to you about your dietry needs after op the advice i was given was to eat less more often as you will experience fullness do to the stomach wrap, the wrap will eliminate any reflux you have had in the past.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Poppy,

I had a 270 toupet and hiatus hernia repair almost 10 weeks ago. I prepped by making clear soups and freezing them, also got custard, jelly, flavoured yogurts without lumps, vitamin enriched milkshakes. To be honest, after the op the surgeon put me on a sloppy diet - not a liquid one as I was expecting - but it really depends how you get on, so I was eating weetabix the day after surgery softened in lots of milk, after that it was lots of mashed potatoes with gravy, anything that would puree without pips or seeds, any skinless/boneless white fish in sauce. Another cereal which softened really well was cheerios. 

I also made sure I had a walk each day before the surgery - and I'm sure it helped speed my recovery.

You will have sore shoulders after surgery - they will help you with pain killers, but just be aware - and walk about as soon as you can - it really helps.

Good luck to you - and let me know how you get on.

I am back on a full diet now - no reflux - the only thing I can't seem to get away with is very fizzy drinks!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

So glad to hear you're recovered Glennie, it sounds like you've done really well to be where you are at 10

weeks. Thanks for the advice, will definitely keep you posted.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Poppy,

I had this operation about six months ago. I was very soon on soft foods ( a couple of days). I ate a lot of mashed potatoes and puddings. I ate small bits often. Graham crackers and yogurt were two more standbys. I did get the shoulder pain from the gas they pump into you so they can work. It wasn't too bad. I also walked a lot before surgery as sitting was uncomfortable. I still have trouble with flatuence but I think it is gradually decreasing. It is certainly worth it. The worry is gone. 

Judy

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Poppy, I had a full wrap done in December. I agree with Glennie as to what to have prepared ahead of time. By the time I got home, I was eating pudding, soup, Popsicles, ice cream, Italian ices, milkshakes.  Once home, I put my NutriNinja blender to use and made slushies using a protein drink and frozen fruit. That's the best thing ever!!

It took me a couple of weeks before I felt brave enough to eat more solid food: fish, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, clam chowder, soup with noodles or rice,  

BUT, a word of warning...I had read on this forum about eating too much, too big of bites, too quickly can cause a "back-up". And, yes indeedy back-ups can happen!! Literally, the food can't make its way through the new opening as it always has, one bite gets stuck the another, and there's no place for it to go but back up! BUT, it isn't as you would expect. Instead of normal vomiting, it's foam! I kid you not...foam.  Talk about foaming at the mouth!! The first time it happened ( I had eaten too much too quickly), I was scared to death, I just stood over the sink until I quit spitting out foam....no food, just foam. Then, all was well.   This lovely phenomenon could happen easily, so if I got carried away trying to eat like a normal person, it would happen. I knew it wasn't going to kill me, so I'd wait out. 

Another thing you might consider to help alleviate some of the gas build up is start now (and continue) drinking everything through a straw as well as exhaling before swallowing. Both have worked wonders for me even at this late date. 

Lastly, ask your doctor for anti-nausea pills that melt on your tongue as vomiting can undo the wrap! 

This can all sound overwhelming, but you'll be so glad you did it! It's a whole new world! 

Good luck!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks so much all, really useful information and will help massively. It certainly is overwhelming and I'm pretty unnerved at the thought of the unknown but have everything crossed that it will be short term pain, long term gain.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Poppy,

my surgeon told me NOT to drink from a straw as you are sucking up air and that makes gas and it hurts. I once forgot and that wasn't good. I did vomit once during the first few months, too much food that was too dry and there was no foam. I told my surgeon about it and he wasn't worried about anything coming undone. I never took anti nausea pills. We aren't all the same. I recovered from the operation quite quickly and the incisions healed well. They never really hurt. Good luck and let us know how you are doing later. Judy

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Judy. That's good to know. Thursday feels like it's looming now! How are you doing with the side effects of the op? I think this is what worries me most.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Poppy,

Don't worry too much - I've not had a lot of side effects from the surgery, in fact apart from seeing the scars - and a very very occasional twinge - I wouldn't know I had have the operation - and for the fact I've not touched any anti acid tablet since 12th March! Just see how you go - give yourself plenty of time, make sure you get plenty of rest - and if you work - be sure to get at least 3 weeks off!

Good luck!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That's very reassuring Glennie, thank you. Yes the consultant has actually said 6 weeks off but I want to see how I go, I know I'll be ready to be up and about but obviously need to be careful as you say.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Morning all.

Well I'm day 3 post op and I'm so glad I had all of your advice to cling on to! My surgery took about 3 hours in the end and the day after was pretty horrendous but after 2 nights in hospital I came home yesterday and have managed a good night sleep in my own bed, albeit I can't sleep anywhere other than on my back which is not my usual position!

I've not had too much too much to eat, 1/2 yoghurt and some soup yesterday, but what I have had has gone down ok apart from lots of burp type hiccups??

I also wanted to ask you guys if you had a weird taste in your mouth after the op? I felt it day 2 and was so upset as I thought it was the reflux back again but the surgeon

says its way too early to tell that and it could be caused by the irritation /

medications etc.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Poppy!

Great you are now on the road to recovery! The first couple of weeks I was living on custard, yogurt and mashed potatoes with lots of gravy! I couldn't lie on my left side for a few weeks - as that was way too uncomfortable - but it does wear off as times passes. It is a major operation - but as you get better I am hoping you will start to find the benefits! I am 11 weeks post-op and have no regrets what-so-ever! Back on a full diet - reflux free! I wish you a speedy and successful recovery!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Glennie. I'm a bit worried at the moment as I seem to have reflux as bad as before right now but hoping it's a reaction to all the swelling and not permanent.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Poppy,

Your wrap will be swollen - and will be that way for at least 14 days - in fact I had my worst days around day 10 of recovery. What feels like 'reflux' is actually swelling! Just stick with the liquid diet until the 'reflux' feeling goes. I was fortunate in that I went through my recovery relatively easily. I would mention this to your surgeon though. 

Hope you feel better soon.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up