Rotator cuff injury to shoulder

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi  I wondered if anyone has had this rotator cuff injury to their shoulder and has had the operation to have it sewn back.

Am trying to decide whether to have this operation or put up with it.

Be interesting to hear of other peoples experiences.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi been told I have this but had no tests, did you have an xray or scan or physio ??
    • Posted

Hi

I have had a ultrasound which found the tear. I have been referred to physio and am doing exercises but have also been referred to a consultant who said I could have the operation. 

I have to decide whether to or just put up with it.

Did  they make you lift up your arms and do certain movements to diagnose this. How are you finding things movement and pain wise.

• Posted

I started with it October last year rang GP who said ring physio who asked questions and posted exercises out to me saying it was rota cuff tear. Last month it eas still the same so rang GP again who asked to see me, he asked me to stand arms by my side and lift the left arm out to the side and as high as I could which was waist height or just below. He has referred me to the musculoskeletal clinic with an appointment for next month. Pain not too bad in daytime as from elbow I can move ok but iv not slept on left side since October and certain movements send me through the roof also very tender on tip of shoulder and down top of arm at times, also feel it along front collar bone and top muscle into neck. No go movements ... arm up to side, arm straight up, arm behind back, reaching out to sides. Find I can put clothes on top half ok but can't get them off unless vest type or stretchy ..or husband is about. Often sat and thought how the heck do I get top of. 😯 sometimes I think it's improving then ouch it's not.
    • Posted

It sounds just the same. Some movements you can do and then ouch  I know what u mean about trying to lift off tops. Will be interesting to see what your clinic says. I have been on the website to read about the operation and have mixed feelings as am still working in a office and am worried about taking the time off.  I am going to email the Dr and see what the long term effects if I dont have it done. 
    • Posted

Appointment 17th March but will let you know what they say, I would like a scan or whatever to see what the problem is but obviously hope it's treatable without intervention. I have read it sorts itself but can take a few years and even then you might not have full movement but I don't envy your decision guess you need to speak fully to consultant and weigh up the pro's and cons and of course people on here can share their experience. I hope you get peace of mind over it, I have knocked my shoulder a couple of times and it set me back for a few days and dread snowy weather as the thought of slipping fills me with dread, I know I have learnt to compensate in a measure doing things eg my grandaughter would fasten my seat belt lol but now I turn my body as far as I can one way then the other to do it, things like that) but if I'm honest it's not acceptable and I still have a problem although I'm sure I read on these forums a consultant told someone they shouldn't of been doing physio but resting it so? ?? but I think we know when we are pushing it too far and should reign back a bit.
    • Posted

hi ..ive just read your thread and wondered how things are now 10 months later as I have the same symptoms after a fall 2 months ago and have been treated for broken humorous bone..but even though xray shows that healing my symptoms are same as u describe..I'm getting an ultrasound in 2 weeks..but an operation and more recovery worries me as means more time off work. .although health comes first! The pain is such a bad nagging constant pain..yet worse at night ..and need my right arm to lift my left..whhch won't lift above head or to the side..ouch to put jumpers or tops on etc...hope u can let me know if light attend of tunnel ..Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Belinda,

Poor you hun it's certainly not fun firstly to fall and then to find you've damaged yourself, I hope you have punished the floor you landed on (something my mum used to make me do as a child when I hurt myself...bad tree that I climbed up and fell off - lol!)

I had my surgery in March and was discharged from physiotherapy in August.

Although my issues are different I think all shoulder surgeries result in slow recoveries and pain for a while.

I won't lie the first 3 weeks were terrible for me I couldn't sleep, my muscles contracted in my neck, which put pressure on my tendons, I had to push to get extra pain meds as the codeine didn't even come close to pain relief and I regretted having the surgery.

After physiotherapy and continuing hydrotherapy I have a pretty good range of movement, certainly 75% better than before the op. You have to do the physio and work hard to get your strength back, it's not just the surgery you are repairing it's the months/years of limited movement that have weakened muscles/ligaments and tendons.

I go to hydrotherapy once a week and the first thing I do is a range of exercises with arm weights to free up my shoulder.

10 months on I have niggles still and bedtime still raises issues as I still get pins n needles and lose sensation in my arm but I have other conditions that effect my shoulder, day to day it's much better.

I'm glad I had the surgery now it's been a struggle but it's worth it.

I hope this gives you more insight into recovery etc... I hope whatever you decide it helps you feel better.

• Posted

Hi Shera 48

I had a tendon repair operation 10 years ago and it was very successful.It was carried out by an orthopaedic surgeon at the Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital.I was still working then but apart from that it was explained that long term rotator cuff tears can lead to arthritis,The repair would probably still be good if I had not overdone at Badminton.I can say that I have had a  fully functioning right shoulder for past 10 years and will certainly go for an op again if it is recommended.

• Posted

Hello Shera,

It has been interesting reading your comments,and also those from Deni.I had a fall in the local supermarket before Xmas,but it wasn't until three weeks later an XRay and ultrasound showed I had two rotor cuff tears,one is almost through.I also have Bursitis in the elbow,and I had a cortisone injection,that was only a partial success as some inflammation is still there As I have had a previous collarbone fracture,and I have Osteoarthritis in both wrists,hip,neck and spine,my exercises are almost non existent.The hardest thing I have found is,because my partner has his own business,and I often help out,I am forgetting I shouldn't be carrying heavy things,or lifting.Not too bad when I am doing things,but my neck and shoulder hurts,and even my bra strap on my collarbone hurts.When I wake up in the morning I can hardly move it,and the pain is bad.I have been told by Physio that any type of medical support won't help.I really think he is a bit unsure of what to do,as he is mainly a sports Physiotherapist.In a few months I am to have another scan,and if it hasn't healed properly I will need surgery,although at my age they would rather it given the chance to heal naturally.I am otherwise,a slim,healthy,active,almost 69 years  young.☺️

• Posted

Hi Alice So sorry you have had so much happened to you. The collarbone sounds painfull. I hadn't heard about these shoulder tears until now and is so surprising how many ladies have them. The doctor said lots of women are walking around and not realising they have had this injury. I think I did mine a few years ago tripping over grates on the path, you go down with such a force. I Also have muscle pains that were diagnosed as Polymyalgia rheumatica took steroids for a year which got rid of the pains but you can't stay on them indefinitely and then they came back again. I was going to go back on a small dose again but the consultant said this was not a good idea for the muscle tear. It is frustrating having these problems but is humbling reading how many health problems other people have. I am 66 and feel active and lucky really things could be a lot worse.

i hope things can improve for you.

• Posted

Thanks Shera,

Apparently it is more prevalent in women,aNd also in sports people,and like you said,people can go years with them without knowing,as normally they repair themselves,according to the Physiotherapist.I also hadn't heard about it,until I was speaking to a friend,who said mine might have been rotor cuff tears,as she had them years ago,they were diagnosed when they went right through,and she is still having pain and trouble.

I am not sure what is going to happen with me,as I got a letter from head office of the store where I fell,and now the won't pay any out of pocket costs,until everything is thoroughly investigated,and my Doctor has to release all previous Medial records,right back from when I first attended the clinic,even previous operations,medical conditions not related to the injury.I am devastated,although the Doctor,and Nurse,who did my care plan recently warned me,it might happen.

Good luck with yours.I hope everything works out.Keep us posted IOS what your outcome is likely to be.

Alice

• Posted

Hi Shera,

I was told I had an RCI to my left shoulder around 14 years ago.  

I was advised as a fit 21 year old not to have surgery to let it heal and carry on swimming etc when it was less painful.

Over the years I've had numerous steriod injections due to pain, inflammation and nerve issues but got to around 18 months ago and it really ramped up pain wise. I couldn't drive (manual gearbox), lift or use my arm/shoulder above my chest, twist or turn my arm out and decided this was now limiting me.

After an MRI last year I was advised that I had ganglion cysts on my tendons, inflammed bursa and my acromion is hooked causing the entrapment of everything underneath.  

Nobody is really sure whether this was the initial injury 14 years ago as there was a slight RC tear but I was young and no Dr wanted to open me up and mess because the recovery time is quite long.

I'm now on the waiting lift to have this repaired and have been told up to 6 months recovery time, I just thought they shaved off the bone but apparently its not that straight forward lol.

I suppose it depends what you can cope with and what quality of life you have with it.  I wish now I had pushed harder years ago as I have other conditions now that will make my recovery slower.  If you can cope and physio is helping then carry on, shoudler surgery seems to have slow recovery rates but if you are limiting yourself then think about the surgery, 6 months is a long recovery time but better than it not healing or other issues arising from it.

xx

• Posted

Hi clurbur

Gosh it all sounds so painfull. Did all this happen because you did not have the repair. You take advice don't you as you think the doctors know best. I hope this will make the others things better.  I am waiting for more information myself about the repair before I decide. Hope it goes ok.

• Posted

Hi Shera,

I think the end result I have now started all those years ago, I never really recovered from the initial injury and it's got progressively worse. I kept having cortocosteriod treatments but ultimately wrongly placed injections are just as bad for you!  

I saw a Rheumatologist last year who said enough was enough, got all the tests re-done and he was right my pain wasn't the RC scar it was everything next to it!

I've had two Rhuematology consultants now tell me that I'm the best judge of my body and if my orthopaedic consultants refuse to give reason for diagnosis or dismiss easily to question it - they should never be offended that you ask for more information or another opinion, you are just gaining facts for yourself.  Fortunately my shoulder & knee consultants are a lot nicer than my spine consultant!  

I'm amazed that I see 5 different consultants for 5 different conditions and there seems to be no communication it's a bit like everyone having a piece of a jigsaw to put back together but someones hiding the box to see what it should look like!!

I completely agree that surgery isn't always the best option but if it gives you a quality of life even after a slow recovery it's got to be worth a try.  

You are right to make an informed decision, get all the facts together and weigh up what you can live with.

I hope whatever decision you make it heals well for you.

• Posted

Just wishing you all the very best with all your issues.I was seeing one Rheumatologist for Osteoarthritis in neck,spine,wrists and hip,and a Haematolgist for Cyclical Neutropenia, that both my twin and I have had for most of our lives,and now the Physiotherapist for rotor cuff tears,and I am getting fed up with just that,but your  list is staggering,and I can only imagine the pain,and all the other medications,tests,etc.that,go with everything.

Just wishing you well with everything.

Alice.

• Posted

Thanks Alice, I'm getting used to my list lol..forgotten what a pain free day feels like! I wish you well too xoxo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.