rotator cuff shoulder

Posted , 5 users are following.

“had my rotor cuff, and bicep tendon repaired 2 months ago (by arthoscopy).. Still have allot of pain in shoulder ?? I get sharp pains in rotor cuff area and stabbing pains were anchor was put in for the bicep repair. On and off and at night I am in scrutiating pain and there has been times were it is painfull to raise my arm or to close a kitchen drawer. I am taking prescribe pain medicine which helps about 30% of the time (once a day) and Aleve twice a day.

I had a post-op appointment and my doctor tells me is normal? The pain is worst before and after the surgery.

At the time of my third post-op appointment, took an x-ray and said everything looks good. I do have some medical background and I am totally aware with an x-ray you are not able to see ligaments or tendons.

I did call and spoke with a different facility and a different doctor, I was told I have to wait at least 3 months before they will even see mesad

Two weeks after the surgery I was told by my surgeon to stop wearing the sling (I thought was to soon)

I am not able to have an MRI because I have a spinal cord stimulus implant in my back do to a motor vehicle accidentsad

I am Desperately surcharging for some answers.

Conclusion

If you are facing rotator cuff surgery (repair) please get a second opinion and be ready for a very painfull recovery and lots of tears.”

After 2 weeks of having the procedure, I was told not to ware the sling and that I will not be needing Physical therapy. I am 55 years old a grandmother taking care of our 2 1/2 year old grandson 24/7 and no regrets.

I have about 60% range of motion and in excruciating pain on and off.

I am trying not to take vicodin every 6 hours only when the pain is unbarable. I am taking Ibuprofen every 6 hours.

I have had a total knee replacement, my left foot fuse due to high school sports injuries and I do have a high tolerance to pain. The pain related to rotator cuff surgery is the worst pain I have ever EVER ENDURE. It is my right shoulder and my dominant side. Two week into my post-op I fell and most of my weight was when I landed on my arms, lots of pain, but I am still being told everything looks good (x-ray)

My gut instinct tells me I tore a tendon or ligaments

Any advise is greatly apreciated.

Ana

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I so feel for you. I am four months post rotator  cuff surgery and I also had manipulation or decompression under aneasthetic having had a frozen shoulder for four years due to a fall in Sainsburys. Annoyingly I did not report the fall at the time and thought nothing of it until 8weeks later I started getting pain. Anyhow I was advised also not to wear a sling by my surgeon as he told me I I needed to move the arm and shoulder asap or  it  would stiffen up. I did wear it for car journeys as a passenger as we live in the countryside with potholed roads . I am still getting pain in my upper bicep and my neck is really stiff.I have been seeing a physio and have had twelve sessions. I have improved well . So personally physio was very important for my recovery as they can also monitor one's progress and where your pain is coming from. I hope that helps
  • Posted

I forgot to mention I had a full tendon tear
    • Posted

I just hope I did not tare another tendon=ligament?.here I am again another sleepless nightsad

Thank You for taking your time to answer my post.

• Posted

Had a frozen shoulder due to a motorcross injury a few years bck , frozen shoulder lasted around 3 years on and off extremely painfull....had cortizone etc etc...tried Nhs ...( waste of time ) Now i am privately paying for chiro treatment since november. The difference is amazing ....i was a sceptic....he has realigned my bck , neck and shoulder , . All the sharp stabbing pains i had in my shoulder and doww my bicep were due to the nerves being compressed by the swelling inside the join ( the imflamation ) the shoulder is a confined space inside , everything works inunison there is no room for swelling. When it had to undergo surgery or injury that swelling presses on the many vital nerves that travel thru it causing those horrible sharp , stabbing pains...

My answer to you....you have to give it time for the imflamation to recede , ice regularly it's so important to keep that area ices...put the ice pack in a towel and leave it thaw a bit and fold it around ur shoulder.....it WILL take time like any injury to recover....i am 3 months in to chiro i only have pain now lifting my arm vertically above my head , compared to being in tears with the pain 3 months ago lifting it at 45 degrees the difference is amazing. Give it time , ice and it will subside...the very nature of a shoulder injury is probably one of the worst the body has to endure as an arm is needed for every day use ...

Best of luck ...be patient....give us updates we'll keep you going

Galvanized

• Posted

Thank you, I did not think of asking my doctor to perform an ultrasound. What a great ideasmile

Thank You

• Posted

If you can't have an MRI, you can have Ulrasound; good for diagnosing rotator-cuff problems.
  • Posted

Hello, I am 7 months rotator cuff and bicep tendon repair. I also had mua at 12 weeks for frozen shoukder.It takes a lot of time to heal..my doctor told me a year. I have found that the bicep tendon repair is alot more painful than the rotator repair. I gave been back to work a couple of months now and still have quite a bit of pain after lifting etc. Good luck..have patiencesmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.