Royal Orthopaedic Hospital North London

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all,  has anyone reading this forum had ankle replacement or fusion done at the Royal Orthopaedic hospital north London.  The main consultant there is Mr Goldberg.  I would love to know what your experience was and which option did you choose.  What were the after effects for you.  Also, is anyone involved in their TARVA trials.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi dbee

I've been a patient at the RNOH and have stayed at the Pain Management Clinic and had an ankle fusion by Mr Singh.

I find the RNOH a great hospital! Everyone is so great, my physio is incredible, nurses are friendly and my only complaint is parking!! Ha!! (But seriously, who builds an orthopaedic hospital on a hil!! - and even with a blue badge you often have to queue for a space!)

Hope that helps, if you have any more specific questions, just ask smile

xoxo

• Posted

hello Ceejay,  I just had my first appt at RNOH  and saw Mr.Goldberg initially.  He says Im a good candiate for either a fusion or ankle replacement though I dont think Im at that stage yet, even though there is no cartilage left and x-rays show bone on bone.  Im not in real pain yet and as this is a big step Im leaving it for as long as possible.  What decided you to have a fusion done as opposed to replacement.  I live quite a distance  south coast but I think I would opt to have operation at this hospital.  My other question is how long to recovery and how bad was the after pain,   how long did it go on for, were any of your nerves affected.  Sorry so many questions but there are so many opinions on this  I would appreciated any insight.  Hope you are doing well.  Thanks

• Posted

Hi dbee! Wow, bone on bone is not good! You're lucky to not be in too much pain right now! Definitely hold off as long as you can - when it stops you being able to live the life you want, that's when its time to think about getting the op.

I had a fusion because I am too young for an ankle replacement. My left ankle was fused when I was 19 and my right was partially fused when I was 26. Also, from research I did, fusions tend to have a higher success rate than replacements - but your surgeon will tell you which would be best for you.

After the fusion I remember being in quite a bit of pain, but it was managed by morphine in hospital and then tramadol at home. (No nerves were affected in either surgery). For the first few weeks (I think its 6-8) after the op you are non weight bearing. Mine were always placed in a cast, but different surgeons have different styles, so you could be in some other sort of support to stop you moving the ankle. Once the scans show the joint has fused you are allowed to begin weight bearing, this is when you start physio and learn to walk properly again. Overall I'd say the total recovery time is about 3 months. But it all depends on if there is a successful union of the joint - if, for example, you smoke, the joint is far less likely to fuse.

I hope this is useful. But please remember this is just my experience!! There are other members discussing fusions in a couple of other chats on this site and they have had different experiences. For example, my left ankle is completely stiff which makes walking on uneven ground or inclines very difficult, but others who have had fusions have full mobility of the ankle, guess it depends on the joint being fused.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and if you have any more questions just ask smile

xoxo

• Posted

Thanks Ceejay,

I appreciate your comments.  You said you had fantastic physio  - I guess that means you dont live too far away from the hospital, so I would hope to get the same from my local hospital??

If I have any more thoughts or queries I will get back to you.  thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.