ruptured achilles tendon unsure of when i can walk properly withbthe moon boot on?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I ruptured my achilles tendon and it was operated on and then placed in a cast for 2.5weeks. They put the moon boot on today and i am struggling to put weight on the leg and still needing to use the crutches. Do i just continue to try and walk and put weight on it even when it hurts?? How long on average before u can walk properly in the moon boot???

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had a rupturef front tendon and yours is at the back of the ankle; however, the recovery is almost the same. You should be using walking aids with the boot. You don't just start walking in the boot without crutches, walker, etc. It will take time to do that. The purpose of the boot is to strengthen your ankle. It' s weak now and you need support from aids. My doctor said you will know how long you can walk in the boot. When it hurts, stop and put your foot up. The swelling is a bigger factor in managing pain. I' be had minimal pain the entire time because I kept my foot up throughout recovery. I was 6 weeks non weight bearing

There is no average time into you walk in the boot. Everyone is different. Just listen to your body. When it hurts...stop. Sounds as though you need to slowly ease into walking with boot. Good luvk.

• Posted

Thanks, yeah im using crutches as well. They said i need to wear the boot for 6 weeks and every 2 weeks i need to take out 1 cushion (there are 3) so i just presummed i would be able to walk lol so frustrating
  • Posted

Did your calf muscle swell up?
    • Posted

No, it hasn't its weak and half the size of my other calf
    • Posted

My leg got very small, too, because I didn't use it. Physical therapy will take care of that as long as you are diligent and do all the exercises they give u to do every day...the number of times per day they assign to you. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.