Ruptured bicep/tendon

Posted , 4 users are following.

After years of arm/shoulder pain I finally got referred to a rheumatologist who in turn referred me for an ultrasound, which showed up that I have ruptured tendons in my shoulder and a severely ruptured bicep tendon.  Following the results I booked to see my GP again who didnt seem to have any clear advice re next steps but reluctantly referred me for an orthopaedic surgeon appointment.  I did some research online and it's very difficult to find any definitive advice on the condition but everything seemed to indicate that surgery was a 'last resort'.  Has anybody any experience of this and can tell me what 'conservative management' consists of.  I'd like to go to my appointment with the ortho armed with some proper questions and facts. Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would imagine conservative testament means physio. ☺️
  • Posted

*treatment. Steriod injection, hydrotherapy, pain management etc. 
    • Posted

Thank you Melissa.  Do you know if non surgical treatment is proven to be effective?
    • Posted

no worries melissa, thank you for your replies anyway.  I'm finding it difficult to find any real info about this condition online - lots  of info regarding ruptured achilles tendon but not bicep tendon

• Posted

Hi,

It takes months for tendons to heal...witout using the tendon..think rubber band...tear it...stretch it...and it will rupture.

The shoulder is held together by several tendona...supraspinitis, infraspinitis, teres, subscapularis. The shoulder is a ball and socket joint comprised of the humerus of the upper arm, the scapula which is the bone which has the ridge on your back shoulder, and the clavical whicj connects the other two bones on the front.

So, lots of bits...see the best ortho you can find...like a university hospital.

Let us knowhow the visit goes

kind regards

judith

• Posted

I had my long tendon to slip out of the stirrup bone at the top of my shoulder. two weeks later the long tendon snapped. this was at work injury. i had a 2 week delay getting an mri then two weeks to see the doc. then doc says no surgery because there could be more damage done trying to put it back into place. He said that the protacol for this type of injury now is to rehab the shoulder and go on living your life. No more tennis and bowling for  me I guess? what direction are you taking ? where are you in your decisions? 
    • Posted

Thanks jr1960.  I am awaiting my appointment with orthopaedic surgeon, later this month.  Trying to find out as much info as I can before that, as I know I'll only get 5 - 10 mins with the ortho so I want to ask the right questions.  From experience, I know that surgeons see surgery as the only option often and I want to make sure that if I decline surgery, that there is another viable option.  I have no idea how mine occurred, it was due to over exertion, sports, injury etc., just 'wear and tear' I guess.  I've been battling to get answers for about 4 - 5 years for upper arm muscle pain which originally was thought to be fibromyalgia.  I waited nearly a year to see a rheumatologist, who dismissed fibro as the cause and it was she who referred me for the ultrasound.  I have had an MRI a year or two ago but only on my neck, which showed up some slight reduction (eg OA) but was told it was too mild/early for any intervention or treatment plan.  I keep telling my GP that this pain in my arms, and some in my thighs too, is not the same pain as OA, this is muscular.  I have pain in both upper arm muscles but the ultrasound only determind rupture on the right side - ie the arm I use most as I'm right handed.  I hadn't heard of this kind of rupture before this and had no idea it could happen without sustaining an injury of any kind, so I am just trying to find out as much as possible before I get my fleeting visit to the orth.  Thank you again for your response, most helpful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.