ruptured ovarian cyst - how long to recover?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with a ruptured cyst four weeks ago, I am still having very bad symptoms of nausea, very swollen abdomen, pain in pelvis, extreme fatigue, shoulder pain. Apparently the cyst was full of blood and clots, anyone have the same and did you have bad symptoms for a long time after?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If it was a small cyst your body should be able to resolve the fluids from the rupture. But if it was large it could cause infection

Did you see a gynecologist? Did they do an ultrasound or MRI or both? Have you had any fever? Have you been evaluated for endometriosis?

I had 2 large 15 cm cysts and many smaller ones. One of the big ones ruptured as the Dr. was removing and it dumped all the crud into my abdomen. He told me if that had happened before hand it could have caused severe infection, continued to bleed or caused other complications requiring emergency surgery. He flushed and suctioned to clear it all out. I did develop a fever on third evening post op but he prescribed treatment and fever had broken by the next morning.

Also, your cyst might have refilled and be causing your continued symptoms. I would request an ultrasound or MRI to find out what's going on.

If you haven't contacted your Dr. regarding this you need to right away. Better to be safe and get checked out.

• Posted

Hi, yes I have been to see the gynecologist and I am having anMRI on Friday, problem is because it had ruptured, they don't know how big it was in the first place, the radiologist and my Dr said its only big ones that rupture.

• Edited

Hi, I'm a 12 year old girl and I had an undetected ovarian cyst, I had an operation because they found fluid in my stomach so they thought it was appendicitis so they took my appendix out and found the remains of an ovarian cyst, after I got out of hospital it took 6-8 weeks for me to fully recover and I still get stomach ache now, but it is normal because of the operation I had it was on May 13 and I have fully recovered and happy as can be xx

The normal healing time is between 6 and 8 weeks though, sorry for the long reply!

• Posted

Hi... I was hoping to see how long it took you to  fully recover. I recently had this happen to me, 9/7/17. To this day im still extremely bloated and very sore in my pelvis area. I currently  have a 13cm hematoma behind my uterus and left ovary that needs a follow up MRI  in a month to be sure it resolves itself.  My right ovary is not definable on an MRI. It was surely my right side with all the pain I was having.  I also have PCOS, so there are always cysts there. 

I tire easy, fatigue, extremely bloated and if you press around on my belly it feels like gas is in there. Can’t eat much because I get full fast. And a weird dull ache in my right shoulder. My numbers are all good, so doctors won’t do anything except wait for next MRI. And they want to look at my bladder because there are traces of blood in my urine. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! Hope you are feeling much better by now too.. 😊

• Posted

Omg! I have those symptoms! Did your find out what it was? Please tell me
  • Posted

Yes, I have the same exact thing now. I'm saddened to know that this pain is looked at as mynute . I was told they ruptured and to get over the counter drugs. I NEED THE GOOD S#!v for this! one, 2 I could barely bend, properly wipe, sit or stand and was told not only did it require no meds, it would heal on it's own. It's been over a month since the rupture and I don't know WTH goin on, I'm still in pain. This isn't as severe as it was in the beginning however, it's still there. I hope one day doctors look at this as a big deal. Good luck on your healing process.

• Posted

I have been going through this for four months. I am exhausted, frustrated, and scared. I’ve been through miscarriages, natural births, and at age 41 many menstrual cycles. So when I say this hurts, I mean it!  The doctors literally don’t care. After months of begging they finally did an ultrasound, and the cyst had ruptured, leaving my left ovary surrounded by fluid.  I can’t work out at the gym because of this pain, and that is my only means of fighting depression since I got off my medication two years ago. I have two little kids, four and one years old to take care of… I sure wish I knew when I could expect a light at the end of the tunnel . Has anyone responded here about how long it took for them to heal?
    • Posted

How are you now Heather?

I am in a similar position after a possible rupture 6 days ago.

I have a scan arranged in a few weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.