Rushing to the toilet

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All,

Going through an episode of IBS attack for the last week. Apart from the usual abdominal pain I am having the need to rush to the toilet within 15mins of getting up. It starts with me breaking wind and within a minute I have to make an urgent dash to the bathroom. Any suggestions on how to help with this? My appetite has been almost non existent and I've lost a little weight due to this. I sometimes suffer late evening as well and starts exactly the same way, first I break wind and then the dash to the toilet is on. When I'm I fear the dreaded wind flatulance feeling because I know what follows.

Really appreciate any suggestions on this. It is a pain in the bum. Excuse the pun.

Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

There are many things to do prior to an attack but once an attack happens you just have to go with the flow so to speak and I know because I get this too.  Luckily since I started eating better it is less and less but I used to get this 2 or 3 times a week and even finished a relationship and a job for me before I started to improve. I eved detailed an attack on here in the hope that someone could help. Mine usually last between 2. 5 to 3 hours and include lots of cramp and lots of running to the loo and often just staying in the loo.  I know it is awful but the way I see it is at this point your body is in control so you just have to wait until it is finished. I used to vomit after it was all over too and then enjoy a nice long sleep afterwards as I was exhausted. Are you beginning to see how I lost my job now but rather that than fall asleep at my desk. I know it is horrible but once it has started but my advice would be to ensure you have a glass with you to drink water as you will become dehydrated and that causes headaches etc.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Thanks for you replies. I've tried imodiun and that has settled the running to the loo. Hope the cramps settle next.
    • Posted

Hi mark I suffer from tho too at times, the best thing u can do is start keeping track of your food.

Food will make this happen and your trigger foods can change, also take immodium for a few days just one a day for say 3 or 4 days then stop for a couple of days I wouldn't recommend taking them everyday.

The problem with having attacks like this it can really take over and change your life it did to me, keep your chin up I wish you all the best.

• Posted

u r right

it change my life too

it make me worry and stress

it's effect me a lot sad

• Posted

Yes mate it will do just think that it will pass in a few days. I use to have to rush to the toilet 4 or 5 times a day.

You just need to find what is causing it.

Don't stress it will get fixed

• Posted

I think I had this before

usually when I'm stress and worry

and when I eat some kind of food

malk and diray product make it worst

and even spayse food

so I avoid some of this food if i have plan to do visit or exam

however, it almost disappear when I take antidepreastion

• Posted

I guess your concern is the urgency of bowel movement.

I have controlled my flatulence and pain by going through a series of antibiotic treatments. 2-3 antibiotics were given to me to have after food at the same time. It felt aweful to go through the treatment but after the same, my excessive flatulence and pain disappeared. This may help with the sense of urgency if it is related to bacterial issue. I use Shreddies, the flatulence filtering panty for flatulence smell concerns. it works effectively for me although a bit expensive.

Go to your doctor and have him prescribe relevant antibiotics for you. All the GI doctors I have had visited suggested a colonoscopy or upper sigmoidoscopy to begin with but I found one in a million doctor who suggested antibiotics- and it worked. Which is why I suggest proactively asking him for it and see what he has to say.  Antibiotics has been the foundation of my treatment- along with relevant food and fiber intake.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.