S.U.F.E. complications Of Avascular Necrosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

My daughter suffered a server S.U.F.E in October 2010 following ( we now believe)

a fall . She unfortunately was miss niagnoised and

it went on to become a crutal slip , with further issues

at our local hospital she had to be transferred

which ment 2 1/2 weeks till she was operated on, bed

bound . All looked to be going well untill April 2011

When she started getting sever pain again . Her pins

were removed and at the 6 week post opp checks

Avascular Necrosis was found .

We have had a very long 8 months waiting to find

out how far the damage was , and luckly a Small

section of bone was left unaffected . This has now

been used for a ' Valgus Flexation oysteotomy'

Wondering if anyone else has had similar complications

following S.U.F.E and what you pain / mobility

is like now .

She's to have a hip replacement as soon as she's

stopped growing !

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had a fall at 11. 21 years later I've still had no surgery. Avascular necrosis set in at 12. I've been told since 14 the only thing they van do is a replacement yet I'm still waiting. Which country are you in?
  • Posted

We're in the uk . She will be going in for more surgery later this year or early next to remove pins and plates as causing pain due to bone playing catch up in lenth .sad and they will be in the way for the replacement when she has to have it .

We are hoping to get up to 10 years if not longer from

the rebuild.

• Posted

Well latest update , daughter had ins and plate removed 6 weeks ago now and we returned today for post operative checks be have the worst news sad avascular necrosis has set in again and for the time being there is nothing that can be done ! She is to go in for intensive physio, hydro and pain therapy as soon as is possible . Then fingers crossed we can last another 2 years???

• Posted

Hi Carol

Are you on any of the SUFE Slipped Upper Femoral Epiphysis Facebook pages?  I just wondered how your daughter was doing?  My son had a SUFE 2 year's ago and has AVN and is still on crutches and the outlook is not good.

Ruth

• Posted

Hello trolly-dolly747 . So sorry to hear your going through this ordeal with your son. I wasn't aware there were any FB sights as when we were going through this there wasn't . I shall have a look . Our daughter had to have a total hip replacement in October 2013 , as she had no femeral ball left in the end and arthritis had set in in her pelvis . She was wheel chair bound if we left the house which was infrequent . She wasn't in school either , all this was sending her into a deep depression . With the help of her surgeon who pushed her case in getting it done , she is now one of the youngest to have a THR and is doing very well now . Back to almost normal activities with little pain . 

Although this is not where you want your child's story to go there is light at the end of the tunnel , stay strong . 

• Posted

Hi Carol

Please do have a look at fscebook, it is always so good to communicate and find out how people are doing and be so good to chat with someone else who is going through the same.

Where are you in the UK? We are in the Midlands.

How did your daughter get on with strengthening her muscles to walk again? My son has no strength in his hip muscles at all.

Best wishes

Ruth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.