Sacrospinous hysteropexy and rectocele repair- buttock pain anyone?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I had sacrospinous hysteropexy, rectocele repair and perineoplasty 5 days ago and my right buttock pain is v bad, especially after bowel movement. I still need ibuprofen 600 every 5h. Anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering when will this start getting better. I'm 33 with 2 small kids.

Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The pain is normal marie so keep taking your pain relief. You are only 5 days post op so you have to expect this for the first week at least. Make sure you are getting plenty of rest as well and definitely no lifting.
  • Posted

Hi Maria, 

I'm now almost three weeks post op after an anterior and posterior repair. I needed to alternate paracetamol and codeine every 4 -6 hours for the first week. It does get better though there are still days when I need pain relief. Make sure you get plenty of rest. Have you got someone to help with the children and cooking and cleaning? Good luck with the recovery x 

• Posted

Thanks for your response,

I have plenty of help with kids and chores so can just focus on my recovery. I also got 6 weeks off work and will work from home for now.

I also had Mirena IUD placed at the time of my surgery and I'm having some extreme cramps. Hopefully that will go away soon...

• Posted

Hi I had the same op in May last year I'm 45 and was honestly end of the year overall before I felt back to myself. My buttock pain subsided after about 7-8 weeks but if I stand/walk too long it comes back even now until I've rested and it's the same if I haven't drunk enough water and get a little constipated the pain is bad until I've had a bowel movement then it disappears. I also feel a mild dull ache in it few days before my period when my cervix is at it's lowest. Other than that it never gives me any bother lol. For me the main pain lasted only the first couple of months just make sure you are taking laxatives/stool softener as some pain killers can cause constipation. This time next year you will be a new woman xx

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply Liz! Glad to hear you're doing well. my surgeon says that my buttock pain should go down soon. It's definitely the worst during and after bowel movement and also when I walk... but I'm taking painkillers and a stool softener. I'm worried about having sex with this pain. How did you cope?

• Posted

I tried sex around the 6-7 week mark but it was too soon and although I managed it I ended up bleeding quite a bit internally so left it another 2 weeks. It was a bit better but to be honest kept trying every few weeks but it took a good 4-5 months to get back to normal and to be able to completely relax as felt like things were hitting the thick line of stitches at the top of my vagina. I can honestly say the buttock pain never interfered with sex. I had a rectal prolapse repair done at the same time and the pain was the worst around weeks 5-8 when stitches were dissolving but after they dissolve completely (anything up to 5 months or even a wee bit longer) I found the repair slackens off a bit especially in the buttock and things don't feel so sharp or tight/pulling. Another 5-6 weeks will make a massive difference to you physically and emotionally as it's very frustrating especially when you are younger and are used to being independent and able bodied. I had a previous rectal only prolapse repair done in my 30s and recovered fully in 6-8 weeks but this repair at times felt relentless it took so much out of me x

• Posted

Thanks Liz! This is very helpful. I'm hopeful for a speedy recovery. I'm normally v active, I do spinning, gym 3x/week and and I even lift weights (but won't do that anymore). I'm planning to take it easy for 3 months and do nothing. My prolapse was stage 2 and was only uncomfortable during sex (although my partner never noticed any difference) and after workouts. I sometimes felt a bulge as well. Now this feeling is gonesmile yay! I really hope that this surgery fixed both rectocele and uterine prolapse. I also have mild cystocele but never had IC and my surgeon said that uterine lift itself will fix it so I don't need anterior repair. Let's see.. x

• Posted

Hi Liz,

Hope you're doing well. How are you feeling? I'm now 3.5 weeks post op and my rectocele repair feels great but I still have the buttock pain from the hysteropexy and need ibuprofen daily. It's worse when my bowels are full but I feel it when sitting and walking as well. I had a check up 2 days ago and dr thinks it's normal to still have pain. I was wondering if there was anything that helped you cope and when did you start feeling that it started improving? I constantly take warm showers as it seems to help. Let me know if you have any advice... many thanks

• Posted

Hi Maria x I just wondered how you are doing now and when did your pain finally stop?

It is 2 wks tomorrow since I had my anterior and posterior repair with tvt sling and my uterus attached to the sacropinous ligament.

I am in extreme pain which doesn't always go away with painkillers, my Dr prescribed Solpadol for me (after a very tearful phone call in to the surgery) but they don't always work as I still get pain even though I take 2 of those and 2 ibuprofen every 4 hrs

When did your pain start to feel more manageable?

Mine is not so bad if I've stayed in bed (or lying on the bed because I cannot sit at all at the moment) resting for a few days but if I get up and start walking around im back to lying in bed in excruciating pain again the next day.

I just wish I could see a light at the end of this very long tunnel

TIA xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.