Saline

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anybody used saline in a nebuliser to loosen phlegm to cough it up ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Good question, I sometimes dream my lungs not with a nebuliser raven though I have one.  I staralize water in a pot for 5 minutes then I add a few drops of ucoliptys oil and then put a towel over my head and breath in the steam for 15 minutes, not to close because it could hurt your lungs.  I do this for 15 minutes 2 times a day if I am sick.

i thought about adding salt to the water but I have never heard of any good medical advice that it would be helpful.  I hope someone comes along that has some practice and more knowledge about it.

• Posted

No I haven't ,but I do use a flutter devise to help with my chest clearance,and no added medication  I wouldn't be without mine ,

• Posted

They are a device they go by different names, they are battery free small hand held plastic things that you suck and blow out.  They make your lungs vibrate in a good way.  Depending where you live I live in Canada you can buy them at your local pharmacy for about 80 bucks.  I bet cheaper in the states.  Anyway you do this fo 10 to twenty minutes,then you do what is known as a huff caugh.  Love the huff caugh you get all kinds of mucus.  Anyway it's good for asthma,copd cystic fib etc...well worth the money.  Don't forget to look up the huff caugh on you tube it will change the way you caugh because it saves energy.

• Posted

Yes, I have heard of this,  and of another product added to nebuliser with albuterol  called something like Poroformist, but must go through Dr.Otherwise I suggest drinking lots of water all day and only sip at night, and take generic Mucinex to l;oosen secretions
  • Posted

I have never heard of trying that 
    • Posted

Hi ,if you live in the U.K. You can get one on prescription I wouldn't be without mine ,have a look on YouTube type in flutter devise ,or go on amazon to buy and read reviews ,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.