Sandals for 6 weeks post-op

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello...today, I got off my surgical boot 6 weeks post-op...yay! So off I went to shop for a pair of wide tennis shoes and half-a-size bigger. My question: I am going to attend an important friend's wedding in 6 days. I am thinking of wearing a maxi dress, but I don't think it's great to wear tennis shoes with it. My Dr only recommends wearing tennis shoes everyday for another 3 weeks. Has anyone experienced wearing special ortho sandals (with support) at this time after surgery? (even if I only have to wear it for this one occasion).

Thanks in advance...

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

i found thst thst I was able to wear Birkenstock type sandals right after my bandages came off at 6 weeks.  I was able to wear the straps snugger on the normal foot and a looser setting on the still-swollen surgery foot.  You can sometimes find them a little dressier looking too, these days (not just the brown leather strap styles) so maybe this will work for you : )

I am now at 4-1/2 weeks post surgery and my right foot is still a little more swollen but the pain factor has really reduced and I barely notice it anymore!  Plus the swelling has suddenly dropped down a notch recently!.  I am able to wear some decent summer shoes including some with heels or wedges, but it does seem to me that my foot is half size larger;  before my toes were crowded and always bending, but now they lie flatter and so it seems as though my foot is a bit longer, even though the width is much improved now. 

Susan

Toronto, Canada

• Posted

Oops OMG important typo - yes I am 4-1/2 MONTHS post op not weeks!!!

All is quite good - foot looks amazing although still some swelling but it is dying down. My V gap closed quite quickly within a week or less of having my bandages removed!!

It is still a little stiff and I couldn't wear really high heels (can't bend that steep) but nor would I choose too. I have been able to wear some nice summer shoes with a 2-1/2 inch or so chunky heel for stability and have found some with lace up front so k can accommodate the right foot that is more swollen on top than the left.

FYI I seem to be up half size from my former foot - not just from the swelling - but toes are lying flatter and not crowded now.... And therefore my size is a bit longer/bigger than it was but seems by only half a size.

I have my left foot scheduled for Sept 30th so that's almost 7 months after the right was done. Will be so much easier knowing what to expect the second time around!

Susan S.

Toronto, Canada

• Posted

No Cynthia, we use the sandals straight after the operation has finsihed Our patients walk in those sandals for 6 weeks and then return to their normal shoes. This is out of Germany and England x
  • Posted

Hi Cynthia

I'm 6 weeks post op tomorrow and I have my x ray today and I think the show will be off. I'm megga nervous to think I will be walking in a normal sandal today GULP!! I'm on my own too and have to drive to the hospital for an hour and half and not entirely sure where it is so a big day for me today

How did you handle walking normally after show come off?

This bit to me today is more scary than the actual op!! Yikes.

My foot still gets really swollen by the end of the day! Plus my ankle gets swollen too. Wish it would stop as it makes my foot look awful. ?? plus I have this big V shape gap now between my big toe and the toe next to it so I'm asking today how this can be corrected or if it's something that will go on its own

Gillian UK

• Posted

Good luck today, Gillian! When I first walked without the surgical boot, it felt kinda weird at first. I was so used to heel-walking the past weeks. After a while, I got the hang of it....but I'm trying not to walk fast. I'm just happy I'm not wobbling anymore - walking with a heavy boot on one foot (my right). A lot more swollen by the end of today compared to the past days when I was wearing the boot. But I expect the swelling to decrease as the days go by. Make sure you buy or get an extra wide pair of tennis/training shoes.

As for the V-shaped gap, hard to tell but I'm sure you'll find out after the dr shows you the x-ray. In some cases, it is due to over-correction.

• Posted

Hi Cynthia

Had my 6 week x ray yesterday. Unfortunately I need to wear the wedge shoe for a further 3 weeks as a bone hasn't fused back yet! Gutted but on the plus side I looked at my foot this morning (when it's not swollen) and it looked beautiful. Apart from my V shape. Was told it should maybe close a bit but if not they mentioned some kind of soft tissue release. Not sure what it involves but if it gets rid of the big V I'm up for it then my foot will look amazing!!! I would be so happy!

I have another x ray in 3 weeks so fingers crossed the bone will have healed enough to stop wearing my wedge

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.