Saphenous vein ablation this week advice please.

Posted , 4 users are following.

So have the right leg lazered due to faulty valves and potential ulceration. %4 reasonably fit. Have been told i cannot take the stockign off for one full week then can change it for a second for a further week.  Surgeon wishes me to walk 7 miles a day for first two weeks.

Live on my own , as he expects me to able to walk I am assuming this is not to debilitating.  I live out in country and been told I cant drive for 2 weeks, so obviously need to get food in.  Any other thoughts?  somebody mentioned a stick for walking?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had my saphenous vein removed last year along with some others using VNUS Closure and sclerotherapy. I drove the following day, wore a leg stocking for three days and went swimming a week later. I never used a stick. I was told to walk every day but not seven miles.
    • Posted

Aye, well I know the surgeon and he knows if he says 7 I will do 7 sigh, so may be a best practise thing.  Would you mind if i asked how old you are though? 54 me.

How was the long term recovery, did it help with your problems?

• Posted

I cannot imagine many patients walking seven miles a day! I had it at 59  and just carried on as normal after taking off the stocking. I suppose my thigh was a bit tender for a couple of weeks. 
  • Posted

Hi!

Had the procedure in 2013. Stocking was put on, and I walked out the door with no pain or discomfort. We went to a restaurant and shopped awhile. No issues.

Seven miles seems pretty drastic to me. Are you SURE your doctor wasn't kidding?

Walking is a good way to keep circulation going, but that distance seems pretty far to me.

I drove after several days.

• Posted

I had the veins removed and wore the stockings in this awful heat wave for 3-4 days. I wasnt instructed to anything related to daily long walks. I also have gone for ablation and followed the same protocol. Its a heatwave in NY and wearing those support hose was brutal. I was melting so I hung around the house and elevated my legs. 
  • Posted

Ok a couple of weeks in, so thought i would offer my experiences.

Mornign surgery , first on list went under at 9:15, compus mentas at 12:00 departed at 13:00.

I had saphenous vein ablated in right leg and assorted VV stripped out.  My Issue was leaking valves in SV causing VV and iron staining with risk of Ulceration.

Leg was bandaged and compression stocking from toe to groin. Strict instructions not to remove it for 7 days.  Then I was allowed to take off stockign, remove bandages, have a quick shower and then peel off steristrips on incision points and don new stocking.  never has a shower felt so good!

New stockign on again for 7 days.  then allowed to take it off at nights, tbh have kept it on as such a palaver to get the damn thing on without catapulting myself off of the bed!  Quite comfortable when on but damn hard to get on.

Yes was instructed to walk 7 miles a day minimum.  Have tried to achieve this, its hard work and time consuming but have done as asked on average.  if nothign else my general health has benefited hugely!  I can say i am healign nicely with no issues so can reccomend the regime.  I still will ahve an ulceration risk and so ahve been told to rest with leg up and wear a stockign from hear on in.

Once meds wore off, nogreat pain from leg, general soreness.  Huge sore throat overnight preventign sleep. anethesiologist must have used a sink plunger or something .

All in all a good experience.

one tip.  after first shower noticed one VV incision point was still bleeding, so i put some  micropore over it under the stocking. Thought no more off it.

Bad bad mistake.  the pressure fo the bandage and sweatign from walking  ... after 3 days was sore so rolled down stockign and peeled off the tap, most of my skin came with it, raw flesh and weeping.  healing now but took a week. my own daft fault.

• Posted

Oh also instructions to sit forevermore with leg raised.  The idea beign to keep the leg depressurised as it were.  No standign around etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.