Saw Palmetto plus tamsulosin and leakage

Posted , 3 users are following.

I returned to once daily tamsulosin on November first and decided to add a quality Saw Palmetto supplement on December fifth. Lately I have been experiencing an annoying leakage almost constantly and am wondering if taking both meds are the cause since when I was taking the tamsulosin alone I don't recall this being a problem. Also how will I know if the supplement is actually doing me any good while still on tamsulosin? The only way I can think of is to stop the tamsulosin and see what happens.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi James,

I have BPH and have been taking a Saw Palmetto complete supplement and I too have recently experienced some slight leakage if I don't empty my bladder as soon as I feel the urge.  The flow rate has rally improved and as long as I'm careful with liquids, I only have to get up once during the night.  But this leaking is quite inconvenient and I'm going to try to change the medication to a different brand of saw palmetto to see if that makes any difference.  Failing that, I shall give up the saw palmetto and see what happens.

Some years ago I tried finasteride which was suggested by my doctor.  This seemed to work but also had the same effect as castration from which I never fully recovered so I wouldn't advise that medication.  Afraid that I know very little abouttamsulosin but I shall rectify that shortly.  These ramblings are just my experience of a similar complaint to yours.  Feel free to ignore or respond as appropriate.

• Posted

Tamsulosin is the generic sub for Flomax. I will stop the Saw Palmetto and see if there is a change in the leakage. Thanks for your input.
  • Posted

Hi James, I found Saw Palmetto a waste of money and after experimenting with different brands of tamsulosin I found maxflo to be the best for me.

I know about generics etc., but I believe manufacturers do their utmost to produce the cheapest possible pill. Break them open and compare the granules - see for yourself.

Good luck,

Chris.

• Posted

When you say maxflo do you mean Flomax? Are you saying that you find it better than the generic? The main problem with that is most insurance will only cover the generic meds otherwise it is very expensive. I plan on stopping the Saw Palmetto and see if there is less or no leakage.
    • Posted

My mistake - yes, Flomax. I found it better than Tabfyn, Galebon and another 2 I can't remember. Good idea to stop the S Palmetto first and see if there's a difference. I've been using tamsulosin for quite some time now and I get up once or maybe twice a night to p. During the day I don't have a problem. I will be 76 this year.
  • Posted

I've read tons of literature on supplements.  The ones that are (presumably) effective are (1) Betasitosterol and (2) Pygeum.  That said, I also take saw palmetto.  If you're going to take it, make sure it's a standardized extract (80 - 90%) of fatty acids.  And you can get it right "NOW" on Amazon.  I take all three, and I do believe it's helping me.  Good luck, james89669

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.