Scabies exposure

Posted , 5 users are following.

Question, after scabies exposure how long did your symptoms start to show. If you did a treatment for prevention did you ever show symptoms? Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Every person is different symptoms can show up any where from 2weeks up to 8 weeks after exposure. It is very important that everyone knows that symptoms can be wildly different for each person. Some people never get the classic symptoms and only experience itching. If you do a treatment prevention it may make your skin itch. Permethrin( and most other treatments) is a pesticide afterall and harsh on the skin. If you have scabies the itch is different then say a dry skin itch. The tale tale sign is increased itchiness starting at sunset or after. In my case ever day as the sun set they came out to play. Of course the longer you have them the more they itch. Don't let a doctor tell you its an allergy to something in your environment. If you havnt had problems with allergies to everday items, why would you now? Also be aware scabies are becoming resistant to pesticides. Good Luck
    • Posted

It's been 5 1/2 weeks since my granddaughter had her first treatment. I am still clear so far. Just itchy like a insect bite at times but it never gets bad and goes away. Truly seems like the cream we used. There were 6 family members exposed, all treated but still show no signs. Mom and boyfriend are better and baby better but still has what we believe is exema now. She is under derm care. She had crusted kind and was given the cream 2x and oral 2 x. We be glad when the time passes and all clear. Sounds like we have to wait 8 weeks then. Soooooo long!
    • Posted

Do u know where u got them? We are using clove oil as well. Love oils have used them for years.
    • Posted

I was visiting my Mother who has had an unidentifiable itch for years. She has never passed them to anyone, but after sleeping in her bed for three nights, I got them. So now we know what the itch is. 
    • Posted

oh and what a life saver the clove oil is... I was so itchy and so crazy with the things crawling all over I was at my breaking point. Then I found the study on clove oil killing them and ordered it plus use cocunut oil( extra virgin cold pressed from Walmart cooking oil isle) as the dilution oil. The study says use 6% clove oil in a carrier oil. Enough to cover the body.( I weigh 125 lbs, 5'3") Sometimes I use 1 fluid oz sometimes 1.5 if my skin is dry it needs more to cover and sometimes i do my hair, so I need more. I don't have alot of hair so others may want to start with 2 oz of cocunut oil and add 3.548ml clove oil.  I do it once a week and live normally. If Im late I know it! There is no stopping the itch and crawlies! I spend very little on this treatment.I think the clove was $15 and cocunut $6 but the clove bottle ive had for 6 months and buy cocunut about every 2 to 3 months. So it's definitly the cheapest way to get relief. I hope to adjust it and be cured one day.
    • Posted

Been using clove oil for the last couple weeks. Just saw baby tonight and her skin is better than I have seen it lately. She seems to get better in 3 day increments, mom is taking her off antihistmine finally but keeping steroid cream on. No new spots on her for about 7 days.hopful!The baby took 2 doses of ivermethmecin and had no side effects but the permethrin was terrible. She could never have that again!
    • Posted

That sounds wonderful. Be careful with the steroid, it is so bad for people. Just a tiny bit is ok. I have had bad experiences. Do some research please for the baby. Don't just use anything the doctor gives out. They are paid extra for each prescription they write. Know the side effects. I have a baby too and he had breathing problems with the Permethrin, it was so scary. I will never do that again either. But the doctor said it is so safe for babies over 2 months and he was 6 months. The doctor denied his breathing incident was from the Permethrin. He has never had another episode. I got nerve damage in my hands from it. It went away for the most part after about a year. I am so scared of the ivermectin because it is suppose to be stronger.  I may decide to try it one day though. 
  • Posted

Sounds like you are on the right track! Please make sure everyone was treated twice. It is very important. to treat like head lice, first to kill the live mites, then a week later to kill the eggs that hatch. Also, don't be fooled by a doctors diagnoses of eczema, psoriasis or dermititis. This is a diagnosis doctors give someone who didn't get cured with the treatment prescribed. For some reason doctors don't recognize scabies have become resistant to the prescriptions. I have heard that Ivermectrum is the best though I am scared to use it.
  • Posted

Hi Jami, just wondering how are you guys? We had the same situation as you. It's been 5 weeks after exposure and 4 weeks after permethrin. Not sure if we can relax now. Hope your grandaughter is better now?
  • Posted

Hey all.

I'm new on this site. Sadly, we're all here. I hope you guys get well soon, you and your families. Also, excuse my English. 

So, here's my story... 

I'll start off by saying I was literally miserable. I ... 

I got diagnosed for scabies on 30th of may. I started treatment right away with a prescribed lotion called Acarol. It's not a pesticide, as far as I know. I think it worked. I had to apply it three days in a row to my whole body, once or twice a day. The doctor said only at night, but I did it in the morning as well. Anyhow... I started getting some red tiny (kind of fast fading away) and I freaked out. I also itched, but not as like before. Now I think my scabies are gone, but I am scared that I infected my family. They still have no symptoms, but are they contagious? What are the shances for them getting the scabies? I mean... I was "oficially" having my scabies in its full power on the 30th of May. I had noticed some scabies pimples (unknowing its scabies) like ... maybe 2-3 weeks before the itch occured. ... My question is, was I still contagious before the itch? 

If so... that will make a month that I have been around my family, and boyfriend. Have been having close physical contact.

They still have no symptoms. None of them. (I hope they don't ever) ... 

What's the chance of NOT infecting them? What if they start a treatment right away - will that prevent the crabies infestation on them? Are they currently contagious to me?

I didn't have many scabbies like pimples, only two or thee the most. The others are red and small, watery kind of, they vary. 

Is it normal to itch after the treatment? What about getting some pimples? 

And......... .... My eyebrow itches from time to time... I can't tell if I'm being paranoid or not...

Is it other type of mites? Please, say no, I'll .. f- die. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.