Scalf Akin osteotomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys I'm new on here. Yesterday I had a scalf osteotomy on both feet! My left one is still fairly numb however I have quite a lot of throbbing on the right. It's lively ready about all of your different experiences. How are you all getting on. It's a long road to recover right? Has anyone else had the exact same procedure as me? 😊X

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I did not have Scarf/Akin osteotomy but rather I had Wilson/Akin and am now 10 weeks since my surgery on March 4th. I am entirely mobile now and can full weight bear on my foot and actually walked two full subway stops today, most I've walked in one stretch so far. Feeling the urge to walk and push it and stretch it now - feels stiff and feels good to stretch and walk!

I would say by 6 weeks when I had my surgical shoe removed I was walking quite well also but it was definitely an adjustment once I got the shoe off... Definitely had throbbing (more so late in the day) and got tired bec I was using it so much more than I had been for previous 6 weeks.

It still feels stiff in my toe joint and mobility there is slower to return than I expected but I have to keep working it and bending it every day. Only wearing a variety of running shoes (I fit my shoe pre-surgery) and a couple of generously sized flats. Still a little swollen and so right foot does not match left foot right now! Could probably wear lower/chunky heel of the toe box allowed for the swelling but can't bend enough yet for a "steeper" heel.

It's a patience/waiting game! I can see how nice my foot is and will only get better once swelling continues to reduce. The whole experience hasn't really been so bad at all, I took the anti-inflammatory/painkiller pills only at night for first week but also iced every hour for first week. Slept with feet elevated (outside of covers) for first two weeks. Used a cane to help with walking at 2 week mark when out in public. Stayed elevated as much as possible in early days! But by three week mark I was up and about in the house a lot more, less lain, even the occasional dinner out. Be patient and take care in the early days!! It is and will be worth it!

Best,

Susan

• Posted

Hi Susan many thanks for your reply.

I have a bed cradle that I've been using to keep the covers off my feet at night. It's actually really good. I bet you are so pleased your foot is looking good. I'm so excited to see mine. Even though they are covered in bandages at the moment I can tell my toes are straighter. Today I can feel a stingy pain where the bunion used to be. It is bearable though at the moment. I have a frame and crutches to walk with but I'm following instructions and pretty much just getting up for the loo :-)

J x

• Posted

Hi again J,

I looked up those bed cradles before my surgery but didn't get one. I had s good system elevating with pillows and lots of ice! After the first two weeks that I slept elevated (I was obsessed!) I used a big yoga roll pillow under my sheets so when I was sleeping nothing would touch my sensitive foot, no matter which way I slept! I have only just stopped using it... Was very comfortable.

Yes there are occasional pings and stings and throbs which come suddenly and also leave suddenly and I guess that's to be expected. They have lessened as the weeks have passed but I am still swollen and foot is thicker than it was before.

Good luck to you, stay well and immerse yourself in a Netflix series or something - helped me immensely!

Susan x

• Posted

Hi

i had the same operation as you on my left foot in Southend hospital in December.  Initially I wondered what all the fuss was about because I only needed pain killers for a couple of days & had always heard that it was very painful.  However, my problems started when the plaster came off at 6 weeks. I have pins and needles in my big toe and a lot of pain underneath my foot which I never had prior to the operation plus although when the first plaster was changed my foot where th bunion had been was very flat now the bunion is growing again.  Sorry don't want to scare you, just being honest, I wish I'd never had the op!  Hope you have a much better experience, good luck.

Gill

• Posted

Hey Gill Thankyou for your reply. Sorry to hear your experience wasn't as expected. We're you in plaster the whole 6 weeks? I didn't think they did that any more. I just have thick bandages on. Do you need your other foot doing or was it just the one? I guess you have to keep going to physio due to the pins and needles in your big toe?

J x

• Posted

Hello.  I had a scarf and akin osteotomy to both feet early December last year.  It was difficult to recover as you do not have a good foot to stand on!  My recovery went as follows but everyone seems to have different recovery times.   Hope you are well prepared now, in my first week I managed to get up the stairs with help and didn't come down for a week.  The second week I found it easier to get up and down the stairs on my bum.  I had a downstairs toilet so once down didn't go up again until ready for bed.  My husband did everything as the instructions from the consultant was to only mobilise for five minutes in each hour as you have to keep you feet elevated above heart level as this hellps with healing.  I found that when my legs were down they throbbed, I had to sit down when cleaning my teeth and even then they throbbed.  The pain wasn't too bad, the throbbing when standing or mobilising was not good though

At seven weeks I was allowed to wear nornal shoes but the swelling meant that I had to buy cheap ugg boots 3 sizes bigger.  At 12 weeks I could wear some GoWalk memory foam trainers just one size larger. 

I am just above five and a half months now and my feet are almost back to normal.  I am now back to the gym and the instructor is quite impressed with recovery and thinks that by having both feet done at the same time may have 'saved' my hips and knees as there was no walking lopsided.

Although it is difficult I never once regretted having both feet done at the same time.  

One thing the consultant did recommend was wiggling my toes.  When the big bandages were taken off at two weeks I was impressed with my straight toes but they were slightly cocked up.  The consultant, much to my horror, immediately flicked them to release, surprisingly enough it didn't hurt.  He said I should try to move them more.

• Posted

Hey Thankyou so much for your reply. Yesterday I felt pretty good but today I have felt much more tierd. I stayed in bed most of the morning I got up to have a wash etc and sat on a stool at the sink but after 15 mins my feet were throbbing and was such a relief to get back to bed. I went downstairs this afternoon as I had my children and partner coming to visit me. (I'm staying at my nans for a while as we have building work going on at home). It was so lovely to see my family. Even though I just sat in the recliner chair I felt exhausted when they left so came back upstairs to rest. I'm beginning to feel sharp sort of pains every now and then but they feel much better when elevated. I have thick bandages on and I have to go back in 3 weeks to get them changed. I feel the whole thing is going to be a long process but so worth it I hope. Can I ask what painkillers you were taking? I have paracetamol and Co codomol :-)

Jade x

• Posted

Just wanted to add, that my feet were not in plaster but encased in big fat bandages for the first two weeks.  The bones that were cut were kept together with two screws for scarf and a staple for the akin procedure.

So far my feet look very good and no sign of the bunions returning.

• Posted

Hi sandalz and Everyone, I had my first Scarf Akin Hallux Valgus reconstruction done in Surrey (UK) in December of 2014. All went really well. I did exactly as I was told and rested the foot as much as possible during the first 6 weeks, then gradually I began walking, then driving, and finally my usual activiities. I would say it took 7/8 months before I was free of all twinges and nerve jumping and I felt really 'comfortable'. 5 weeks ago at the age of 71, I returned to have the other foot done with the same surgical team..

​So far, this recovery seems to be going even better than before (I hope I have spoken too soon). The pain has been even less and the nerve jumping so far has been less too. The strange thing is there is hardly any swelling in my foot but I have developed a large bursa (swelling of fluid) on my knee. Not glamourous at all, as it looks like half a hens egg in size!. I cant remembering banging my knee or hurting it in some other way, but I am wondering if it could be fluid draining from my foot when its elevated. Has anyone else experienced this wonder? I did point this bursa to one of the surgical team, who laughed and said "My that's a beauty isn't it"  when I flashed it to him at my wound check, and x-rays at 2 weeks. He said how funny it looked but didnt want to drain it in case bugs got introduced into the knee. I guess it'll go down on its own when it's good and ready?

Anyway the first foot I had done 17 months ago is still absolutely great; no problems at all and if this second one goes as well the first I shall be more than happy - I shall be thrilled to have pretty feet at long last. I am considered elderly I know but I am fit and active so I cant wait now to get back to walking the dog and driving in the car but patience is needed just a little longer then I can rid of this 'beautiful' surgical boot these sexy elbow crutches. Good luck everyone and happy healing! LadyPink

​I used to buy Ecco shoes for walking in as they had a built-in arch support and preformed footbed, however as with a lot of manufacturers these days, they seem to have ceased making these. Does anyone know of shoes available in the UK that are smart with an anatomical footbed with arch support? Around the house after my first op from around ten weeks onwards I practically lived in Crocs Classic mule type sandals - sooo comfortable - but not nice enough to wear out and about.  

• Posted

tPatience is the answer...rest feet as much as you can - can take 8 months before all is normal. I had one foot done 18 months ago and the 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.