Scar creams after TKR's?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Several people's posts talked about the scars from their TKR's. Some talked about how sensitive they were and some talked about trying to heal them.

I have a double TKR coming up and would greatly appreciate everyone's advice on creams I could order now to ease sensitivity (I'll have to start wearing suits or dresses again 6 weeks after surgery) and to help the scars heal.  Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi first of all you're very brave to be doing both knees at once...not sure if you'll be ready for suits and dresses 6 weeks post surgery but I hope you are! What I found worked well was gently massaging the skin not only on the scar but all around it as the whole knee is quite sensitive for the first few weeks. ? Like hypersenstive due to the incision...I have been putting a vitamin e cream on it or one with shea butter...also have heard that bio oil works well. Good luck with the surgery..Donna
    • Posted

It wasn't my plan to be back at work in 6 weeks after a double. The maker of the personalized implants can't get the components finished in time after all and needed several weeks delay. Unfortunately I can't cancel a 2-day class I have to teach 2 hours from home.  I'm hoping my physical therapy goes really really well.
    • Posted

Ahh I see...well good luck and I hope your physio does go really well. I can't imagine getting around without at least one good leg smile.
  • Posted

Hi BB,

Honestly, first let me say that I'm not trying to be negative. I'm 6 months post op bilateral TKR. I'm am 57, work as an Occuoational Therapist and in good shape. I always exercised and am not over weight. At 6 months I'm doing well though still plenty of stiffness. I went back to work after 3 months, I work 20 hours per week....it was not easy! Also, let me say that both knees have not healed at the same rate, which seems to be typical. I am just saying that 6 weeks post op is a very difficult time if you have had either one or two TKR. Just hate to see you setting yourself up with unrealistic expectations.

Regarding the scars, they have healed well! Lots of Pat laser treatments and bio oil. At 6 months, they look great!

Good luck

Joyce

• Posted

Hi, I'm 3 months post op. My scar looked really great for the first 4 weeks but then I had a major set back and with all the inflammation in my knee the scar really got worse. Could you tell me what is Pat laser and also which brand of bio oil did u use? How long did it take to fade?

Thanks

• Posted

I've always had good luck with vit E oil. It heals grim the inside out. Massage it in with your thumbs twice a day. As far as you are removed from surgery you can use gentle heat before applying the oil. That will help it penetrate.

• Posted

Thank you for replying me. I will def massage the scar with vit E.

• Posted

Bio Oil.  My scars are thin lines below the knee, but raised and red above the knee.  One is one year old, the other coming up three.

The scars will be sensitive for some time, bug the physio will also massage them to break up the scar tissue underneath.  Suit Trousers may feel to heavy or tight to begin with.  I wore thick black tights and a dress to my meetings for a while.  The other problem though was shoes...it takes a while to feel comfortable in them, when you've been indoors in bare feet or slippers...or trainers outside....and your legs will be different to before your operation.  Crutches and sticks will also feel at the wrong height, with shoes on, so may need adjusting.

• Posted

You won't be able to use anything till all of the wound has completely healed, no more drainage and most of the scabs have slugged off. Frankly, 6 weeks may be marginal as a starting point. I have always used Vitamin E oil. ( currently rebuilding the knee for the 5th time). Whatever apparel, loose and soft will be the solution. 6 weeks is a very short time to start back to work. This surgery is as mentally draining as it is physical. Seriousily, I would look at a plan B for returning to work. I'm sure you will receive a couple dozen responses to your question and all will be from people who have been through it and know and understand the severity of the process.
  • Posted

I understand your commitment to your work BusterBeans, but please be very careful. You are having a very ​majoy op. You will not be healed internally at all by then. Don't just look at the outward showing scar for healing indications. The soft tissue  internally will not be healed by then. Are you intending to drive? I think you will probably not be ready to put the pressure on your knees for braking or changing gear. Please take care, you don't want to have to go through it all again. Good luck with the double TKR - you are a very brave person indeed.
    • Posted

majoy = major.
  • Posted

Hi BB,  I had bilateral TKRs on 18th may and all went great.  I was walking unaided and had over 120 bend in both upon leaving hospital after 5 days.  Took things very easy just the same and built up my strength gradually with Physio.  I was cleared to drive at 6 weeks post op, and probably could have returned to work part time, but my wonderful surgeon signed me off for an extra month of recovery time.  I returned to work after 11 weeks.  I am not particulary happy with my scars above the knee, but hey, I can't have everything.  Regular massage keeps them supple, but they are still fairly red.  Not sure that anything but time will fix that.

good luck with the op.  Just wanted to let you know that there are good results out there .  I am really pleased that I made the decision to do both at once, despite all the naysayers telling me I was crazy.  I am 58. 

• Posted

alit - that is really good recovery. How did you manage 120 after only 5 days? Maybe you are very young? Walking unaided too! Wow! I really admire that!
    • Posted

I was blessed with an absolutely brilliant surgeon. I think the op techniques using personalised cutting blocks, and post op pain treatments played a big part.    I am 58 and was not really that fit.  Tho had put a fair bit of work into building up my leg strength  preop.

i have been pretty amazed with my results.

• Posted

I can't help but be jealous wink I am 21 weeks post op and have just achieved - with great effort 107  on a good day. Well done you.
    • Posted

Hi Alti,

I'm 57 6 months PO bilateral TKR, went back to work 13 weeks post op. Doing well now, though one was a slower healer than the other, though I had 120' plus bilaterally by two weeks and was driving at 5 weeks. Though like you I don't regret doing both knees at once, it was still a very difficult surgery. My scars look great though! I think this is directly related to all the laser treatments I had in PT for the first 3 months. Take care

Joyce

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.