Scar issue's following Vaginal Prolapse Repair

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello Everyone

I had A vaginal prolapse repair 10 week's ago and I am having an issue with my scar . First let me state that the stitches where so tight and because of the swelling they cut into me and I ended up with an infection . I ended up taking out my own stitches after 6 /2 week's . Now the issue I am having is because the stiches where so tight and then all the swelling and I am sure the infection ,which I had to treat myself because the surgeon who did it would not see me , but now my scar remind's me of what A football where it is sowen together feel's like raised in the middle and deep line's about 1 mm apart for the entire length of the scar as well my vaginal opening and my outer vaginal skin opening no longer line up and I have to pull the skin back about 1/4 of an inch just to use my vaginal estrogen . I have not had sex yet and quite frankly I am afraid to because I am 100 % sure I will tear . As I mentioned this was A repair I had A posterior rectoseal done 9 year's ago by A different surgeon and was able to return to being sexually active after 7 week's and was even asked at my 8 week check up about it . My question is has anyone else had this surgery more then once and had the issue I am having with the scar ?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I am wondering how you treat the infection yourself Thetis because most infections following this surgery need antibiotics? I don't know if you are in the U.K. but if you are a GP would have dealt with everything. It sounds as though you could have some scar tissue resulting from the 2 repairs and the infection. This can be dealt with by a surgeon. Can you tell me where you live please because this will help with my answer?

• Posted

I had A skin infection A couple year's ago and had almost A full tube of the antiinflamitory antibiotic left which I used along with organic coconut oil used to help reduce the inflammation between application's of the antibiotic cream .

• Posted

Sorry I live in Canada and the area affected specifically is my labia manora inner labia skin covering my urinary opening and vaginal opening . Yes I am thinking I am going to have to have surgery to repair her mistake the surgeon who operated on me would not even see me when I told her office I was having issues . I thought to ask here before having my doctor refer me to another gynaecologist I would not take my dog to see this incompetent woman .
    • Posted

I think it is unprofessional of your gynaecologist not to see you because she still has a duty of care. In the U.K. most gynaecologists (or urogynaecologists as is more common now) would see a lady postoperatively usually around the 6-8th week where issues like this would be addressed. It's lucky you had some medication at home to stop things getting worse. 

• Posted

I know I am thinking about filing A complaint with the board of Physicians and Surgeon's . The gynaecologist I had who did my rectoseal , my vaginal hysterectomy , the removal of my ovarie's and diagnosed me with PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome ) would of seen me when I called for any reason . I am really worried because I wonder what A mess she may of made inside of me 🙁👎🏻

• Posted

You need to see someone as soon as possible so that any problems can be dealt with.
    • Posted

I have an appointment to see my doctor on the 27 which will be 3 day's short of 3 month's since I was operated on . I am going to be referred to another gynaecologist and I am sure I will need surgery to fix the problem .

• Posted

Hi, I'm post a&p repair and pelvic floor repair. I'm not able to have full sex as still have two stitches in tact and so much scarring. Saw consultant two days ago and I am returning Saturday and she is going to remove stitches, for scarring she's going to prescribe cream, if this doesn't help, then it's more surgery to try and trim off lumps and bumpy parts, only downside is, could end up with more scarring!! I'm not happy at all, feel my marriage isn't complete!! I'm 52 and had a very active sex life before!! Also my urine is a spray rather than flow, so again could result in more surgery, this is a nightmare!! Hope your not having all the same symptoms, it isnt a pleasant surgery to start with, let alone the problems that occur after!! Good luck

• Posted

Sorry I'm post 17 weeks surgery !!

• Posted

Hello Kim

Seem's like we have both had the misfortune of having bad surgeon's . I know it was because of three factor's the stitches being to tight , the swelling from the infection causing the stiches to slice through my delicate tissue and that the stiche's where in way to long I removed them myself with clipper's after 6 week's , but the damage had been done . I did not have this experience as I mentioned above when I had my rectoseal repair with another doctor 9 year's ago who retired the stiches that time where gone after 2 maybe 2 1/2 week's . My boyfriend is not living in the same country as me right now . In the past I enjoyed having sex with my boyfriend at the time with how thing's are now with my labia manora having been sowen together to far up my vaginal opening and my outer vaginal opening no longer line up and I will tear about 1/8-1/2 an inch if I where to attempt to have sex now . I have A slight issue with all my urine being able to exit my body because there is A slight pouch ounder my urethra formed from where my labia manora was sowen back together . I want to see another gynaecologist and I am going to ask my doctor when I see him on the 27 th to refer me to another one . I do believe I need surgery to restore my labia manora and labia majora if possible at least just my manora to allow me to have sex without tearing . It hurt's to even use my vaginal estrogen because I have to pull the skin of my labia covering my vagina down and back . If intercourse is painful in the intern perhap's you two could explore some other form's of intimacy or like me are you embarrassed about the disfigurement and do not even wish to let your husband see what your genitil's look like now post surgery ? I forgot to mention I also have A big lump inside on my left side off to the side . Thankfully it no longer hurt's to sit . I do feel for you . It does seem though we are suffering from similar issue's .

• Posted

Hi

im sorry to hear you are still having problems. I am also 11 weeks post op for a rectocele prolapse. I too. Had tight stitches and I was very uncomfortable stating. My consultant at my post op assessment said it was " just scar tissue" however, out of the blue I've suddenly started bleeding again. It might be as I started back at work this week and have been too active. 

But does anyone know how long does it take for all stitches to dissolve and you're healed?

Thanks

• Posted

It can take up to 16 weeks for sutures to completely dissolve but when you say you have started bleeding what is it like and how much (roughly) and is it bright red or brown old blood?
    • Posted

It's stopped now. It wasn't much and it was more pink than red I'm thinking it was maybe my scar being irritated by sitting for a day at work. Feeling very uncomfortable today hoping it will settle

• Posted

Pleased to read it wasn't much catherine. Try and take things easy if you are feeling uncomfortable and put your feet up when you are home x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.