Scar tissue

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had terminal ileum and caecum removed 20 years ago and after the surgery healed my Crohns was in remission. I then had problems 10 years ago and following tests had a strictoplasty at the site of the join to repair it. Now after a no of attacks over the last 2 years I am being told I may have scar tissue causing blockages although it is possible Crohns has recurred at the site. How often have others had surgical repairs? I am preparing (with a high degree of anxiety) to take Moviprep for a colonoscopy tomorrow and get some answers but the thought of more surgery is worrying as I understand surgical procedures can cause scar tissue.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christie, I had hemicolectomy in 91, due to obstruction caused by crohns, I then had stricturplasty 4 years after. I had been pretty well since then until 2 years ago. I had further surgery last year i.e. 20 years later. I know they say surgery can cause more problems but it obviously depends on how bad you are to need surgery now.

Good luck with your decision although I think the decisions are generally taken out of our hands.

Ps even after 3 surgeries I don't have a stoma and now working virtually full time and have two kids!

• Posted

Just to follow up I had the colonoscopy which the consultant found very difficult due to my previous surgery (and which I should have had a GA for not just sedation - it was bad) and he found a stricture and large ulceration of the terminal ileum again. So very disappointed that Crohns has returned after all these years. He is seeing me in a couple of weeks to discuss a medical rather than surgical solution so now I am wondering if I will be offered one of the newer drugs. I have never needed them before I wasn't even on steroids. In the meantime I am really scared of eating in case it flares up again, so am being really careful what I eat very low residue only. Will post separately once I know what drug as I want to know how others have got on with them.

• Posted

I have a 10cm stricture in the Sigmoid - I'm awaiting sigmoidoscopy next week or two, but am really interested in stricureplasty as an option to remedy my problem.  I'm seriously worried about leaving things as they are because I was so ill over Christmas.  The only other remedies are balloon dialation, and resection, which the consultant isn't happy to do as it could leave me incontinent!  What was your recovery after the strictureplasty?

• Posted

I had a strictureplasty 10 years after a resection involving removal of the terminal ileum and caecum. I was worried about the effect but after a couple of weeks I was doing fine and it is now 10 years ago during which time I have been mostly symptom free. It has only just started to fail but I also have a relapse of Crohns in the same place so am trying azathiaprine rather than surgery this time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.