Scared

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone I'm am 49 and overweight i suffer with long time anxiety and depression along with panic attacks I'm due GA for a D&C I've never been under and thinking of cancelling as I'm petrified I have read stories on the internet and people who health can still have problems I guess I'm scared of dying is what I am saying any else feel like this xxx

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you asked about conscious sedation? It's safer than a general and suitable for a wider range of people. There are also less side effects like nausea, vomiting etc. I had one yesterday for a procedure and although unaware of what was going on in the theatre, I was definitely not asleep or unconscious. It might be worth considering. I have no recall of anything from the drugs entered the IV until they wheeled me into recovery. For me, knowing that I wouldn't remember a dreaded experience really helped. My memory leading up to the injection and after it wore off was not affected.

• Posted

Thank You for reply good to know you are ok I asked I was told had to be a general as it's very painful and it's a gyni surgery 😭😭😭

• Posted

Have you inquired about having spinal anesthesia with sedation?  It is safe, and you will not need general anesthesia. 
  • Posted

Hi all I managed to get a spinal block it worked for me 5 hours of numbness but no worries of going under thank the lord 🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Posted

Glad you have got the op over Kerry and that you got 5 hours before it wore off. Know you were worried about a general.
    • Posted

Kerry, this is wonderful news.  Thanks so much for keeping everyone updated.  

You were in good hands for either method they chose.

Oddly, I have chosen general because my fear is "knowing" what is going on - no thanks.   Am I scared, sure but I would be regardless of which one I picked.  Though the pain outweighs the fear and I know I will be in good hands too.

Glad you went through with your procedure.

• Posted

Hi Kendra, I just wanted to let you know that when you have spinal anesthesia, you are given medication along with it to keep you sleeping throughout the surgery. The or team wants you to sleep during surgery as much as you do. With a spinal, you avoid the breathing tube, ventilator, etc. you tend to wake up crisper than with GA and with less chance of nausea, postop delirium, and other untoward effects. I chose continuous epidural anesthesia with sedation for my hysterectomy surgery and it was a wonderful experience.
    • Posted

Kebra not Kendra. That was an auto correction.
    • Posted

Mary they scared me when asking which I wanted and saying that with the spinal I "might" hear something.   That freaked me out, but now reading these posts on anesthesia I'm thinking I should change my decision.  I still have 10 days till operation.

Thinking Thinking Thinking

• Posted

Hi Kebra, it's always possible that you might hear something under general OR spinal anesthesia with sedation, but it doesn't usually happen with either. In fact, it's rare. However, your anesthetist is duty bound to tell you about the risks and benefits of whatever anesthetic they administer. Personally, I woke up momentarily during a minor elective surgery many years ago, but could not speak because I had a breathing tube in. My eyes were taped shut to protect my cornea which is common practice for patients under general anesthesia. Fortunately, I was not paralyzed by medication commonly given to patients under GA, so I moved my arm. I must have been given more medication then because I went right back to sleep. I didn't feel pain and it really was not at all traumatic. If you were to arouse during spinal anesthesia with sedation you'd likely be given ultra fast acting IV medication to put you back to sleep. The anesthesiologist and OR team want you to stay asleep. Under spinal anesthesia you should not feel pain if you did momentarily arouse. Both general and spinal anesthesia are very safe and complications are rare. Your anesthetist or anesthesiologist will monitor you closely throughout the surgery. Don't worry. But it is always good to explore and consider your options so you can make an educated decision and give informed consent for the anesthetic you choose. There's no wrong answer. It's a personal decision. I'm sure you'll be fine either way. Good luck :-). I'll say a prayer that your experience will be very positive.

• Posted

My pleasure Keb. :-). It's wise to be an informed patient. There's plenty of info on the net. Just be sure to visit reliable sites because there's no shortage of misinformation either. You're health care provider knows you, and your history, and will be your best advocate.

• Posted

I was petrified of GA so for me the spinal block works to be honest I hardly felt the needle as the sprayed my back 1st 😌I was monitored all through my bp and heart rate was lovely they said I was relaxed I had a chat to everyone there were about 11 or so people in the theatre with me some observing and students I found it really interesting 😌I went in to recovery was able to speak with surgeon went back on to ward had coffee and sandwiches and read my book so glad I had a choice 😊I will say we all went home the same time except I was fully alert were every one else who had GA was groggy xx thank You to everyone for your support and wishing everyone all the very best god bless us all 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Posted

I was was chatting away I was so relaxed the best decision for me read my post further down may help u decided xxx all the very best 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.