scared i have pancreatic cancer

Posted , 8 users are following.

Im a 29 y/o male and suffer really bad health anxiety which im on sertraline and taking councilling sessions For. The past month r two have been a tough ride for me as ive totally convinced myself i have pan cancer. and been totaly petrofide. Ive been having some stomach and back issues nothing major which the pains are just about gone but after a number of doctor and hospital visits and all docs tellin me is its stress anxiety and ibs i finally got a doc who listened to me and she done some bloods which come back normal apart from one which was only slightly elevated which was my biliburin so she asked me to do another one which come back the same, baring in mind inbetween both of these tests i went to a and e and had perfectly normal blood tests. anyway while all this was happening my doc said she wouldnt normally do this in my situation but she wanted to put my mind at rest because i was scared so she sent me for a ultrasound scan which results have come back and the results said that there was nothing serious seen apart from one of my bile ducts were slightly bigger then the other. but because they couldnt see the pancreas because of bowel gas and me being worried about my pancreas she has reffered me to a ct scan which kinda freaked me out but she doesnt think theres gonna be anything wrong and thinks its still got alot to do with my anxiety. I asked i said but what about my biliburin level and this bile duct she said not to worry she says you could just actually have a slightly bigger bile duct then the other and as for the biliburin level its just the same as last time just slightly high so we have to do more blood tests to rule out other things like hepititus ect. Which ive just had done today shes quite confident that the ct scan is going to come back fine and she says i could even have gilberts syndrome. They say they are just doing this to be on the safeside and because ive mentioned pain But i asked her just before i left your not just saying this are you and she said no im not just saying all this just to make u feel better i honestly think everything is going to be fine and try not to worry. Ive been petrofied with this lately but dont know if this sertraline is playing a part as ive only been taking it for 2 weeks and the last week ive been worrying myself reading things on pan cancer and says you can have symptoms before jaundice kicks in such as pale clay coloures poo which i dont have but it has been a bit on the light side maybe some yellow but ive had alot of yellow mucous like poos in the past becauae of my ibs which the doc thinks so to. Also u an have an itch and guess what as soon as i seen it ive started to itch not alot just bits on a night and also im bloated which is worrying me to. I know alot of these things can also be anxiety related which im a massive baby when it comes to health anxiety and i know im on early days with sertraline which wierdly enough the itchy and poo syptoms started happening when i started taking it. but im still a mess and worried stiff cant sleep and when i do i wake up sweating. I know what im thinking it is and my doc has told me that its the last thing on her mind. Its weird coz ive been panicin thinking im losing alot of weight which im not and also the pain in stomach has been gone a while now the main reason i went in the first place. Sorry to rant but its hard at the moment thanks for ur patience

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, take some deep breaths. You are going to be ok. I don't know what gilbert's syndrome is but I think your doc thinks you are going to be fine. Have  youhad your anxiety meds checked lately?

Pancreatic cancer is very rare, If anything you may have an intolerance to wheat or something. If you DID have cancer, which you don't, the doctor will guide you and help you and you will be fine. And if you did have cancer and die, well, we all gotta go sometime. But you are ok, you need to listen to your doctor and trust her - she knows what she is doing. smile

think of nice things and go back to sleep

• Posted

Thanku sarah ill try its just i had a bad divorce last year and im in court busy fighting to see my gorgous 5 year old son and im close to seeing him and also ive got a new amazing partner for the last 8 months and just keep thinking sumink bad is gunna happen. Thanx
  • Posted

You sound like me. Does your stomach make mental noises too? You don't have pancreatic cancer. I thought the same last week!
    • Posted

Yeah kirsty mainly when i lie down....had that for months now like its crap lol
  • Posted

First of all, Simon, we have all experienced whatnyou"'re going through and it is hell. You are readin too much and it will not help. It will give your brain more fodder to trick you with.your doctor is going to extremes to prove to YOU not to her, that you are ok. You would have seceral lab calues that would be out of whack if there was anything that serious going on. If you don't have something already, ask her if you can have a script for something like zanex to stop the chemicals racing trough your hody and help you to think rationally umtil your other meds kick in, it is scary when you are convinced your dying and no one is finding it. But that is the nature of our beast. Just yesterday, I ate some fruit, my tongue got sore, and for 2 days I was sure I had tongue cancer. Now I had been to the dentist 3 days before, and failed to remind myself that citalopram that I have been taking for 3 weeks cause dry mouth which becomes noticable with a dry prickly tongue. Logical , right? But oh no, I immediately cling to the worse explanation possible and guess what....... The sid eeefcts for citalopram specifically talk anput a dry mouth and sore tongue. I finally pulled myself off the ceiling and let it go. That's what we do. I feel certain tht you are fine. You have had the tests but you have to believe the results. Without my xanex which I finally gave in and took one, I would still be soring up the in the stratosphere of panic. Your meds will kick in soon and will help you a lot. Keep coming to this message board . It will help you see that you are not alone and people here care about you. Kathy
    • Posted

Thanku kathy i understand what your saying and im sure they are just doin ct scan to be on safeside but still cant stop worryin about this silent killer and the little signs and syptoms it has. I hope when i do have scan sooner rather then that it comes back fine like the doc says it will but all the stories you here these days makes it hard to beleive that itd just still anxiety which im reli hoping it is. Thanku for ur comment its reli nice to know to have gud people there for u
  • Posted

You are quite welcome. Please do come back and give us qll tour good news agter the scans. It helps others, including me, to hear further evidence of how pwerful our mind is and the tricks it plays with our anxiety. And remember, the thing that took you to the doc in the first place.....is gone. You're cured!
  • Posted

Highly unlikely to be pancreatic cancer in someone as young as you. Maybe in 40 years you would be at slight risk.

Smoking and obesity are risk factors.

• Posted

Thanks walter.....yeah kathy il keep this post open and let u know
  • Posted

Hello

Did you get the results of your ct scan? I hope all was ok...I'm going through a similar thing...am extremely worried. Dr has diagnosed me with costochondritis as I've had left rib pains for about 10 weeks now..it's just not going away, physio made it worse so set me back last week, stomach making lots of rumbling noises it's never done before, have been taking citlopram 10mg for 4 weeks and it helps but am having bad days here and there...had ultrasound about 5 wks ago and they saw the pancreas clearly and it was fine so not sure whether ultrasound is a good way of detecting it esp as I think it could be in the tail and that's why my left side is hurting, pain moves around and comes and goes but I'm prodding to check it's my ribs a lot which can't be helping so it's staying a bit more now...apart from that no other symptoms but I did read that pain can be the only symptom and pulled muscle/bone pain can be a misdiagnosis...am just so scared...dr said they would have seen something on ultrasound I'm just not convinced..this pain is horrible...please help

• Posted

I should also add blood tests came back clear too, I'm 34, some days I think yes I can rationalise the pain as costo, hurts when I breathe sometimes, sometimes hurts when I push the underside of my ribs but today in just not good
    • Posted

Hello Victoria 30702,

Do you have any updates on your condition?

I've been having similar symptoms. I have the left rib pains and my stomach has also been rumbling more than it ever has. I'm worried about Pancreatic Cancer because me grandfather also had it. I'm going to look into the costo aswell to see if that's a possibility.

• Posted

Hi Victoria and ppl....yeah I went a lot of wori and agro to be honest. I went for a ultrasound scan everything looked fine but they couldnt see my pancreas fully for bowel gas and it looked like one of my bile ducts were very slightly wider then the other which they weren't really concerned but I was sent for a MRI anyway and the results come back normal and my bile duct was fine they said it just looked wider coz you don't get a clear picture on a ultrasound but MRI was better detail and they said it looked healthy. So was discharged. Been OK since not much pain and been on 100mg sertraline which I highly recommend as I was on citalopram and not as good as sertraline.....I still worry alot about my health but its not gunna work overnight..... I've got a new job and I'm now seeing my kids since my horrible divorce so it keeps me happy and my job keeps me busy and my mind intact lol.....just try your best to keep fighting this horrible anxiety I still am but I'm hopefully getting there slowly. If u wanna chat I'm here for your x
    • Posted

Victoria, I know this is an old post. Are you still active? What was your diGnosis? I have pain under left rib and it's been a month. Gurgling stomach and nauseous

• Posted

Hello

I got the all clear following the ct scan, the costo pain has gone almost now, but still get twinges, so I relaxed with the help of the citalopram and things are back to normal, i have health anxiety so was having a bad episode. Go to the Doctors and explain your concerns and take it as far as you can,. Costo is a horrible non specific thing, and i believe that is what I have,,,,get some blood tests done to rule anything out,. 

• Posted

Thank you for the update. I've also had my CT scan and it came back normal. I'm still concerned about the left rib pain. Is a CT scan the best option for dectecting this cancer? Because if so I no longer have any reason to be concerned and I'll soon be able to go back to my regular life!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.