Scared of norovirus

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm here as I'm in need of a bit of help I'm terrified of catching norovirus. I live in London and work in a pub and this year there has been more cases reported of the horrid thing. I'm at the stage where I can't even live my life normally anymore.

If anyone has any facts or myths regarding the virus please share, for e.g is it airborne? And so on. Please help, panicking a lot this morning x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The norovirus is a Vomiting and an extremely upset stomach. But as long as you are well yourself, have nothing that could cause complications should you get it and look after yourself well if you did...it I'll make you feel very ill but it isn't life threatening.

Keep your hands clean, especially if you use public toilets and don't share food/drinks.

Why are you so afraid of catching this virus??? I think the cause of your anxiety is more important than not getting a bug xxxx

• Posted

Have you tried some therapy for your emetophobia?

Do you have other diagnosed disorders?

Emetophobia is so very common. Nobody enjoys vomiting but so many are terrified of it. I know that exposue builds coping skills by meanss of increasing your confidence that it is something your body does to get you to feel better. But it takes time. I had borderline emetophobia when my anxiety was unmanaged. It was sufficiently resolved as i went into therapy for the greater problem. Then I got sick and proceeded to have a night of vomiting. The exposure was quite therapeutic and I am no longer too bothered by it.

Noro is not airborne. Basic hygiene requirements are sufficient prevention.

• Posted

I agree with purpledobermann smile

No one enjoys vomiting, but a phobia of doing so can make the prospect absolutely terrifying.

You need to tackle your phobia rather than putting a large amount of importance on avoidin catching vomiting bugs. The fear of catching it and the consequential avoidance tactics can be born from (or trigger,) OCD. Excessive hand washing..avoiding people/public spaces and intrusive thoughts of catching the bug can all higher. Anxiety to high limits until the very though of vomiting can trigger an anxiety attack.

CBT may be beneficial to you and can help you cope with your fear.

• Posted

I had that once. Im still here. You touch it and touch any entrance into your body its yours. It would be airborne via vomit particles. Or if you shared germs, spit or bodily secretions.  It heals. It is a virus and it heals and meanwhile your ruminating thoughts on it last a billion times longer then The virus ever would. That is the irony of it.

I will feed into this although i know that not the answer. Look up oil of oreganol p73 and its uses. Thats holistic and i have used it forever for ailments. It noted to kill the norovirus in your body. 

On a mindet level thats your core. Your fear. Your rumination.  And well what you fear you bring on. You focus in that and what you dont want  then you create the nocebo which is the opposite of the placebo effect.  Stresss hormones lower the immunity system. Thats science. 

• Posted

The sickness itself is not fun, but it shouldn't be deadly or harmful to you. Just try to wash your hands a lot more and stay away from anyone who has it / advise them to take the day off. That's how it spreads like fire. (Source: Huge Norovirus outbreak at my school).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.