Scared of staying alone??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi!

So recently my depression has lessened but my anxiety is still strong. I've noticed that one thing that triggers it is thinking about having to go to my apartment for college. I lived in a far away state last year for college and never had anxiety or depression, but it started out of nowhere this year (I transferred closer to home). Now, 2 months after my anxiety and depression started, all I can think about is having to back to my apartment and be alone after thanksgiving break. And then thinking about having to go back after Christmas break, and after summer. It's really driving me crazy! Not even being with friends helps when I'm at college, I just want to stay home with my family. I can't stop thinking "in a split second I'll be back at the apartment, nothing even matters, I'll just forget everything anyways." I'm on my 4th week of Prozac, please help!

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi jullian

i am like that too. I get scared of staying alone myself thats why i live with my boyfriend and i have a dog and birds. 

Have you ever thought about getting yourself a dog or a cat to keep you company or moving in with a friend or boyfriend 

• Posted

Hi have you made any friends at College?   That would help,  It can be an awful shock to leave home and go to a faraway place but give yourself time to settle in and don't think too far ahead. 

Is it possible you can transfer to a college nearer home?  Or how about putting it on hold for a year then go back when you are feeling more up to it?   x

• Posted

No I went far away last year and am closer this year (2 hours away). But the anxiety started a month after I started my new college even though I loved it so much more! But now because of the anxiety, I am terrified of being away from my family, since I only feel much better at home. I have 2 friends at college but only see them 2 or 3 days a week and live alone at the moment sad all I can think about is going back to the apartment in 3 days!
  • Posted

I have a problem of thinking of being alone as well.  What helped me is just taking the day hour by hour.  Or minute by minute, if I have to.  Maybe seeing a counselor at college might help.  I'm not a doctor, but personally, Paxil helped me more with anxiety than Prozac.  It's in the same group of meds, but Paxil calms me more whereas Prozac got me more riled up.  Just some stuff to think about....
    • Posted

That would help i have problems being alone myself. I talk to a therapist. What we got to do is learn to live with ourselves and learn to love ourselves because we can not have everyone be with us 24 hours a day we have to learn to be alone at times and live with it thats what i am learning in therapy 

In 1998 to 1999 i had my own appartment that my mom got me and i was having panic attacks everyday which led me in being scared of being alone and i ended up in a nursing home where i felt better because i was around people. 

Then when my boyfriend and i moved out of the nursing home in 2009 I was scared yes i live with him but i was scared because this meant dealing with my anxieties myself. My boyfriend and I have lived here since 2009 and it is 2015 and yes i have had my ups and downs with anxieties, and panic attacks but God has been with me through all of this and yes it was scary when my boyfriend left the place to do errands because i felt alone but the help is out there and you are not alone because God is with us. 

• Posted

Yes, God is with us!  That makes me very happy!  I get nervous if I'm alone too long.  If it's in little spurts, it's okay.  It's the long-time aloneness that really gets me.  But God will protect us!!
  • Posted

Hi Julian,

Getting rid of such critical situation is bit difficult but you can make it easy. Start indulging in those activities that makes you happy.

Listening to music, you can also do painting, and there are many other activities which you can do. Keeping yourself busy will help you to stay motivated. Buzz your relatives every now and then and start communicating more. Remember that, life is short and you can’t waste even a single second. You can also consult with a psychologist who can provide your therapy session.

If you don’t want to make new friends, let it be. Love yourself as it is very important to come out from this situation. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.