Scared stiff

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi I had my left knee replaced in febuary 2015, then my right knee Noember 2015. All great, my right one is perfect. I have had no physio and have complete bend and straight. Signed off from the hospital on Tuesday. Nearly a year of discomfort.

Wednesday I had an appointment with my G.P. Because I have a black spot appeared on my right sole. My G.P. Said it was properly nothing but she would send me to the dermintoligy department to get it checked out. That afternoon I had a phone call asking me to go on Thursday morning. I arrived the consultant checked it over, asked if I would mind her colleagues looking at it. It appears that I have a malignant melanoma. I am having it removed tomorrow morning  less than 72 hours from seeing the G.P. I never knew you could get a melanoma on the sole of your foot. I am writing this in the forum to spread this. 

I am very up beat as we know it was not there in November so it has been caught early. But I now face at least two more operations and possible chemo, I thought that having my knees replaced was very hard but this is so much worse as I'm not sure of the end result. Sorry to share this but I am very scared. 

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You have been "caught" very quickly - it wasn't there when you had the 2nd TKR, & tomorrow, the flipping thing will be gone! If you can grin & bear it through 2 knee replacements, what follows to completely make sure they have got the blighter good & proper - will be a walk in the park. Thank you for sharing & let us know how you get on - but rest assured you will be in the best of hands (unlike some of those knee ops!!).
  • Posted

Louise, I know that we all have shared our concerns about knee replacement, but I felt I needed to reassure you with this issue.  I too had a black spot appear out of nowhere, on my leg more than 7 years ago and at the time showing it to my Primary Care Physician, she said it was nothing...well, I watched it for almost a year and sure enough it started changing its shape and size (almost overnight).  I literally made an appointment for the next day to have it looked at and another Dr. biopsied it immediately.  Sure enough, came back as melanoma.  Everyone worked FAST and I had it removed within a week or two.  I didn't have to have anything else - no chemo, radiation because it was caught so easily. Preliminary tests labeled it between stage 1and 2.  I just go to a dermotologist every 6 months for a full body check.  Lucky because if it had been on my back, I never would have seen it.  Many would have ignored it.  Don't worry, it's early you say, so it should just be superficial surgery. They do take a chunk of skin off but I don't remember any sort of pain with recovery. Just be thankful you caught this so soon.   Best of luck to you tomorrow.  
    • Posted

Thank you. In a way the knee surgery was the reason it was spotted! Hubby was helping with feet care as I couldn't bend enough at the time, so he noticed it, and made me get an appointment, however I waited two weeks to see G. P. As I wasn't worried about it.x
    • Posted

So a big "thank you" to your husband!!  Whatever it takes.  My thoughts are with you.
  • Posted

Hi Louise

How lucky you've been with both knees, and with no physio either, but such a shame that you've now got to face further surgery.  I'm really glad that you spotted it early and that you've had such speedy action from your doctors.

I hope that it all goes well for you.

Take care.

Patsy

• Posted

Goodness Louise, what a worry for you!

My mum has had 2 MM's removed, one from her leg, one from her back. She's completely free from them now, and she only ever needed surgical removal - no chemo or anything.

Ill be thinking of you, and sending heaps of positive vibes xx

• Posted

Thank you Terri, consultant did biopsy today and thinks all very positive, like they say catch it early. Glad your mums ok.
  • Posted

Best of luck to you Louise..they have caught it early..and kudos to you for having it looked at right away...many don't and worry in private. Thinking good thoughts for you... smile
    • Posted

Thank you Donna, it is a learning curve for the family, none of us thought you could get this on the bottom of your foot? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.