Scared to fall asleep

Posted , 7 users are following.

My 2nd discussion on here already, yay....

I'm fifteen and I kind of know somehow that this is irrational, but I can't sleep tonight as my fear of dying in my sleep is back.

I am just so convinced that I'm going to die every night when I go to sleep to the point where sometimes on a bad night I only get 3-5 hours.

I'm just so terrified! Does anyone else get this??

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Its your mind hun and the Brian think positive it use to happen to me seek help its OK hold on I have being ture some bad time my self just pray
  • Posted

Find a sleep meditation video on Youtube. Understand that sleep will make you healthy. Sleep is restorative to all of your body systems. Your bed is safe. You are safe. Give yourself 10 days of good sleep and then set aside a worry hour to go over your worry. Repeat this until your mind has been changed. Change your mind, change your life.

You may need to talk to someone about your fear. Usually what you think you're afraid is not what you're really afraid of. For example, maybe you fear lack of control or change and this is your bodies way of dealing with something your not dealing with.

You have a long, full life ahead of you. Now get some sleep so you can enjoy your cool life and awesome self!

• Posted

You need sleep. It is probably the best thing you can even do to feel stronger.  When you are asleep all your bodily function still work its just the concious part of the brain takes a rest. Everything is still up and running as when you are awake. Its not like everything closes up for the night..it is sleep. It is what the body does so it can heal ailments and reorganize itself..etc..i do not know how you decieded this is useful,or fearful but revisited this thought. It is extremly counter productive for your health.

if this continues talk with your gp because you will cause a ton of problems by not allowing your body to sleep. Worst thing you could do is make such a horrid anxiety rule for yourself. 

• Posted

Hey, I've suffered with this kind of anxiety for a good year and a half now and after my first panic attack where I really thought I was having a heart attack and about to die, I've been terrified of dying, especially in my sleep since. I'm much better now but there are still bad nights every so often when I have to call my boyfriend while I fall asleep and leave the phone connected all night in case I wake up panicking that I'm about to die.

I don't recommend calling anyone all night because it will run up your phone bill and ultimately it can get to a point where you feel you need it every night and it's really hard to then wean yourself off it and start sleeping alone but I would recommend finding a video on youtube that's quite long, maybe an hour or two, that you can listen to in bed while trying to fall asleep. When my panic attacks and fear of dying were at their worst, I used to listen to kids stories online because it made me feel safer. Sometimes I like to put an episode of a funny tv show on and it distracts me from negative thoughts.

Also before going to sleep try a guided progressive muscle relaxation video, build it into your bedtime routine and do it every night because it really does help - there are loads on youtube and these have really helped me to calm my body down before sleep and it also helps you realise that when your body is relaxing, everything is actually fine, everything still works, the only difference is your eyes are closed and your conscious self gets a break from its busy life! If you search 'guided progressive muscle relaxation' on youtube there's one that's about 11 minutes that I personally like because it's not too long, just enough to relax everything. Good to do it in bed too so you can associate feeling relaxed with being in your bed - it's not a scary place where bad things will happen, it's your safe place to rest.

Hope this helps, I'm sorry it was so long but just wanted to share what works for me as I've been through the same thing. But like everyone else has said, definitely speak to your doctor if none of these suggestions help, they may refer you to a therapist who will be able to help more.

Good luck!

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are suffering with this. I started having this fear in August but I am starting to understand it's nothing more than my mind playing tricks with me. I've had that fear for 4 months and I'm still here. I know it's tough but I assure you it's just Anxiety trying to get you down. Try doing breathing exercises before you go to bed, or maybe read a book or watch a movie to help you fall asleep. Hope you feel better soon smile

• Posted

Generally the age of consent to enter these types of site is sixteen

You are young and sound healthy. You need to understand the chances of a healthy person to die in their sleep is very rare, so put your mind at rest

I would feel the same way and in my case it went on until my late teens. I am now sixty six years old and the amount of time I worried about me passing over to the other side was all just counter productive. What you need to understand whatever is if we did die in our sleep we would never know about it, you would be dead so what is the point of worrying ??

You are still very young, you will most probably live till over one hundred as they say even now people are breaking the 100 year old more than ever now.

Stop worrying

BOB

• Posted

You're not alone, Nicole.

I felt like this constantly, I was scared I would have a heart attack in my sleep, I was scared I'd stop breathing in my sleep and I was scared my body would completely shut down in my sleep. If you're only having anxiety before bed, a sleep medication may help to relax you and put you to sleep. For me I had the fear of dying constantly throughout my day, I started on an antidepressant a few months again and I'm sleeping much better now. I'm sorry you're going through this and I understand how nerve racking it can be but things will get better and you WILL wake up in the morning!

Darby :>

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.