Scarring Alopecia Advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

36 yr old female, been receiving steroid injections and topical meds for several balding areas on my scalp at this point. Have always had thick, beautiful hair and the balding is up front and hard to hide. Now being confronted with the suggestion of starting a medication called "Plaquenil" which may or may not help and has many side effects..including severe eye damage. Has anyone had success with this medican for treating alopcecia?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

As a man who has alopecia for over 37 years,in the 1980`s i was after little treatment or no treatment on the NHS given wigs.I stopped wearing them in 2000.People can be patronising when it comes to hair loss even cruel but women can get away with wearing wigs better than a man.I find hairloss treatment at the moment almost like voodoo.

There might be new drugs in the future but for now it might better to treat your mind and not your head.It is not about coming  to terms its about waiting for something

that works.I am  still waiting.The drug minoxil can work and if you want hair to grow ask your Doctor.I think minoxidil which was a blood pressure drug sounds safer than plaquenil.

• Posted

May I ask what type of alopecoa you have and if they ever stopped the flare ups?
  • Posted

go to alopecia uk for a discussion. I think although we all experience alopecia in different ways I think its better to keep all these experiences in one place and AUK I think is the best forum. Also we are doing our annual get together at Alton Towers in April and would be great to see some new faces this year from this forum. We were 130 Alopecians last year

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.