scary sleep episodes with my child

Posted , 4 users are following.

my child is 8 and sometimes wakes up shouting runs up and down the stars saying all sorts like mummy 'i dont like it when he explodes out of the wall' or 'mummy i can't' she shouts growls squeezes me all sorts of things but when you speak to her she reponds but doesn't remember what happened the next day. its scary for me and i dont know what it is or what to do. i end up cuddling her and talking to her to calm own untill she falls asleep.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You're doing exactly the right thing. These episodes are known as night terrors and they're related to sleepwalking. They're relatively common in children, and in a very small number of cases persist into waking life.

You don't say how long this has been going on, or how frequent the attacks are. If she's always had them, there may be no particular cause or treatment. However, if this is a new development, or if attacks are becoming more frequent, it would be a good idea to discuss this with her doctor, as these attacks can be provoked by a number of physical conditions. A low-level, chronic infection such as "glue ear" quite often turns out to be the culprit. Once treated, the attacks tend to stop.

Anxiety can trigger attacks too. I don't want to pry, but I'm wondering whether there's anything going on either at school or in the family that's making her anxious.

There's no need to panic about this, but you should talk to a doctor about it.

• Posted

Oh dear, the gremlins have got in today! I've just re-read my post (should have done that before hitting the button) and see there's a serious typo in the first para. The second sentence should read: "They're relatively common in children, and in a very small number of cases persist into adult life". Not waking life.

• Posted

thank you for your reply i have asked about school but there is nothing going on there think it started maybe a couple of years a go on and off i was thinking it may be related to food sweet things?? not too sure may sound silly just racking my brain as what it could be. 
    • Posted

You might have a point about excess sugar, and more especially food colourings. The latter are known to adversely affect the waking behaviour of susceptible children. I've never heard they were implicated in night terrors but I don't think you can rule it out. I realise it's almost impossible to police what kids eat when they're out of the house, but maybe you could look at what you're giving her.

I think the approach depends on how often this is happening and how disruptive it is. Obviously, if she's getting out of the house in the night or putting herself or the other children in danger in any other way, it needs to be addressed. It's a fairly common condition in children, so the fact that it's happening shouldn't panic you in itself. However, if it's getting steadily worse and more frequent it would be advisable to discuss it with your doctor.

• Posted

Whoah - hold the front page! After posting the above I did a bit of internet research. It looks like there are thousands of entries about food colourings and night terrors. As far as I can make out, the main culprit is something called Red Dye 40. Google it. And don't forget red food colourings aren't only found in red-coloured foods. They can be used in smaller quantities in yellow or orange foods, including sweets and drinks.

The fact that your other children are eating highly-coloured foods and not suffering from night terrors doesn't mean much. Everyone has a different metabolism, even in the same family. It sounds as if this is an avenue you should explore.

Good luck!

• Posted

Lily and y

I am allergic/intolerant to amaranth this is a colourant used in childrens sweets, gravy even in muesli and medication.

• Posted

I know, they put additives in the most unnecessary things, don't they? I'm not allergic to any of them as far as I know, but I still wish they wouldn't muck our food about.

• Posted

Is she seeing videos or movies that have some horror ? 
    • Posted

no scary things just the usual cbbc. thank you for replying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.