Scary thoughts

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I am now on week 2 of taking citalopram and I though I was so doing fine until last night when this wave of feeling came over me and I started to get really scared my head felt weird and now I have a cold these thoughts keep coming into my head about hurting myself and it's really scary cuz i don't want to harm myself...

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jenni

The first few weeks on these meds are usually the worst - it does get better, really.  All that you describe is quite normal.  Scary thoughts are often a side effect of anxiety - I've had them myself and know exactly how you're feeling.  These thoughts will ease as the anxiety starts to ease in time.  Having a cold could make you feel a bit worse at the moment too xxx

They're only thoughts, but because you have anxiety they feel worse.  Anxiety feeds thoughts.

You should see your doctor and let him know whats going on too - always keep him in the picture.

You're not on your own. xx

• Posted

Thanks it's just really scary I go back to see my doctor in a couple of weeks to review my tablets so I'll maybe bring it up then if it's still an issue and atm I'm waiting on a letter to say when I start my counselling so that should help a lot too the... It's just the feeling like I'm in a dream and then I think these awful thoughts and thinking because I'm on these tablets I'll maybe not be able to control myself but I know it's all in my head cuz I don't want to hurt myself I just want to get better

• Posted

Hi Jenni

Yes it is scary - I remember it well.  Glad you're on the list to see a counsellor - it will really help.  I used to have the feeling I was in a goldfish bowl looking out at others - I felt very detached.

Yes the meds will heighten the anxiety for a while, which in turn will heighten these thoughts.  Its a viscious cycle.

Of course you don't want to hurt yourself - its just the illness and meds that make everything seem so overwhelming, strange and scary.  Remember its not how you normally are - you're ill at the moment, and you will get over this.

K x

• Posted

What are you taking it for anxiety or depression? They are just thoughts (intrusive thoughts) they should settle down once the meds kick in properly but if u think you might act on them you need to call your doc
    • Posted

I'm on it for anxiety the doctor also said depression but I think he was wrong on that one cuz my mood was only low due to anxiety and the symptoms I was having I had good days where I had no anxiety and I felt good like my old self so I don't think I have depression

• Posted

Hi Jenni, I was the same after a few weeks I was having bad thoughts about life etc and was having waves of fear that lasted about 10 seconds and hit sweats it scared me but it will definitely settle down I don't have them anymore and like people have said these side effects will go in time

• Posted

Thanks I just thought I was making progress their my family said that I was acting a lot better an all but now I feel like I'm getting worse again

• Posted

Recovery comes in waves u feel ok for a few minutes even hrs then days

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.