Scheduled for PAE in Argentina on Friday

Posted , 9 users are following.

After a long researching of treatments for BPH (including my posting quite a few questions to this forum) I've decided to have a PAE.

Today I met with Dr. Monaco at the Hospital Italiano in Buenos Aires where I live. 

I'm going to have MRI and ultasound with a urologist at Hospital Italiano on Wed then, if I'm a good candidate I'll have the PAE on Friday. 

Dr. Monaco has only done 30 PAE's as they are not they are not yet popular in Argentina.   I'd like to follow the advice on this forum and have a doctor that has done hundreds of PAE's but that is not possible here.  

I could travel to the US or Portugal but I'm going to trust Dr. Monaco because he wrote the Argentinian protocols for PAE and because Hospital Italiano is a world class hospital.  Also having this treatment near my home will enable me to consult Dr. Monaco and his urologists for followup care or alternative treatments if PAE fails to solve my problems.

Any thoughts?

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Jeff

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Keep me posted on your PAE procedure and how you feel in the days after. I'm scheduled for my procedure next week with Dr. Bagla who's performed over 300. I've waited years for this technology instead of the having the TURP. After speaking with Dr. Bagla I'm sure the wait will have been worth it. Looking forward to solving this problem.
    • Posted

SS,  Looks like you're going first.  I wish you total smooth sailing and am awaiting a happy report from you next week.

You can tell Dr Bagla that you communicate with Jeff who was with Dr Monaco during your visit last week.  Dr Monaco wanted to introduce us but we didn't have time.  

• Posted

Jeff I'll definitely give Dr. Bagla your best as well as mention Dr. Monaco. Thank you for the well wishes... I will keep you posted. Godspeed!
  • Posted

Having a TURP on the 13th. Don't think PAE being done in New Zealand.
    • Posted

I think it would be worth it to find a place near by and fly to them for a PAE procedure. Spoke with a friend last night and he's having fits after havong his TURP. Infections and leaks...up 10 to 15 times a night still. But that's only my opinion, I wish you Godspeed!
    • Posted

I think you are right Robin. I had my Turp at the North Shore Hospital amost six months ago. Prior to that there was no discussion of other options so I assume they are simply not available here. I was completely unaware of any alternative procedure.

I did get a very useful brochure about the operation beforehand  and I had a very favourable result. Hope it goes as well for you.

Roy

• Posted

Thanks. Sick of this but Surgeon said Testosterone and age is a factor.
  • Posted

Hoping all goes well for you. I'll be interested in your results once you have recovered.

Best wishes,

Peter

• Posted

Hi Jeff, I wish you the very best both with the surgery and the post-op recovery.

From a fellow countryman, Alan.

• Posted

Hi, good thinking with the "local" thing, and, all should be well! Syd
  • Posted

dont know your situation but there is a new procedure involving heat treatment of area around urethra thats done thru the urethra.  no radiation. no uncertainty.  cant remember name but its on this site.  if i had it to do over...
    • Posted

Hi it may be PAE which I know nothing about  and I don't believe is done in New Zealand
  • Posted

The famous Dr. Bagla was visiting Dr. Monaco while I was there today.  They are good friends and are working together on PAE research.  

This further encouraged me to trust Dr. Monaco.

Today his urologist determined that I am a good candidate for PAE.  He feels that if he can reduce my middle lobe via PAE, my quality of life will greatly improve.

They offerred to do the PAE on Friday and I was thrilled to think that I might soon have relief.  

However when we got to the price part of the discussion I was surprised to learn that the cost for everything is $7000usd and that my Argentinian insurance company does not cover it.

So I'm going to postpone the procedure for a a week while I see if I can convince my insurance company to cover this 'new procedure'.  

I'm also wondering, if I went to the US, where I have part A of medicare, what would my cost be?  Does anyone have information on this?

• Posted

Hi, Jeff. Sorry to hear that you had to postpone your PAE procedure.

I accept that insurance coverage is based on risk, but one would think they could at least look at the world-wide experience upon which to base their assessments.

Please keep in touch.

Alan.

• Posted

Jeff, not a MEDICARE expert though I have used it extensively. Dr Bagla's office uses MEDICARE Part A for payment or roughly 80%of the cost of a PAE procedure in VA. The other 20% - Part B - on you unless you have secondary Part B insurance. Getting Part B coverage, if you have Part A MEDICARE, not in the hard to do box. AARP, HUMANA, KAISER Permanent offer affordable Part B Medicare coverage. Do the math, due diligence and compare total costs, including Part B coverage, and am sure you can beat the $7K you would pay in beautiful BA. Plenty of internet MEDICARE sources to compare if you can wait for the procedure.

I would start by calling Bagla's office in Woodbridge, VA and talk to the medical insurance lady - very knowledgeable. Again, am not a MEDICARE expert but big user, so PLS DO the research on MEDICARE costs for a PAE.

Best of luck Pibe!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.