Schizophrenia and work

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have schizophrenia which was diagnosed 25 years ago but have managed full time employment all this time and am doing reasonably well

I like to experiment and one of the experiment that I have been doing is whether full time employment actually helps you keep mentally healthy. I even try to work while I develop my psychotic symptoms. Every 4 years my medicines loose some effectiveness and my psychotic symptoms return but I try to concentrate on my work and the same medicines start to work which I believe is because I try to concentrate on my work during this time

I am a software professional with a mentally challenging job

I am very curious to know if there are others who have schizophrenia and who have full time employment and if continuing in their job has helped them control their condition better

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vipan. I also have schizophrenia and just about hold down a full time job. I had a breakdown last year which took me out of work for a few months, but I was then able to come back and slowly pick up all my responsibilities again. I now have more than ever! Which I feel good about because it shows you can still progress and have a 'normal' life with mental health conditions.

Like you I also work with software, and my job involves programing, testing and future developments. As you said, this is a very mental challenging job..and I to find that a major benefit most of the time, as my mind is kept busy from my psychosis, anxiety and depression.. not to mention medication side effects!

• Posted

Hi Vipan, I have schzioaffective disorder and after another psychotic episode have gone back to work part time at the mo. I find working helps take my mind of the side effects of aripiprazole, which I find hard. I am a clerical assistant and first aider. What meds are you on? I am on ability, lithium and citralopram.
    • Posted

Hi Louise

I am on risperidone and I find it quite lazy at times but going to work helps me here

• Posted

I find it hard going being on antipsychotics, does it get any easier? They work though and I have no voices etc, So am gratefully for that. What dose of risperdone are you on?
    • Posted

Hi Louise

I am on paliperidone 100 depot and 2mg of risperidone. Paliperidone is injection form of risperidone. I take risperidone for sleep

I believe that if I was not working my laziness would be worse. I also exercise to stay fit

• Posted

Hi Vipan, it's not laziness it's sedation. I am the same, find it hard to get stuff done when I am not working. I read a lot, though.

Lou x

• Posted

Hi Louise

There is another thing that has helped me cope well which is high hope and positive mental attitude

I am always very hopeful that I will do well in job this has helped me keep going

There was a time I was exercising 2 hours a day with quetiapine but I could not continue because of my psychotic symptoms with quetiapine but with risperidone it is slightly difficult for me

• Posted

Very true. I make the best of each day. I tried quetiapine too, but it didn't work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.