Schizotypal personality disorder and children

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there I have schizotypal personality disorder, my boyfriend wants to start a family with me but I'm petrified social services will take my children off me because I wont be able to cope.a social worker said that because of my illness and because of my boyfriends dispraxia and dyslexia social services will defo be involved. I'm also worried that if I won't be able to give him a family and a bit of normality he will leave me. Anyone with my illness had children? How did things work out?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I do not know how to help you but I did not want you to feel sad if no one could help you. So just a hug and some best wishes coming your way.
  • Posted

Personally I do not know what to suggest, if you feel you are unable to support a family at this time it may be an idea too wait until you feel yu can support children.

Prsonally I do not know your curcumstances and cannot advise, 

BOB

• Posted

Boo, if you are already worried about being able to cope, then having children doesn't sound like the best plan right now. Your boyfriend is also having some issues. Your social worker contact is trying to tell you something. Take it very seriously.

If you are interested in having children in order to keep your boyfriend, that's not a good enough reason to start a family. Your relationship doesn't sound like it's solid enough for the challenges of family life.

Children can be a tremendous challenge under ideal conditions. If you start having serious problems with one of your children would you both feel competent to handle whatever happens? I can say from personal experience, parenting a child with problems is a nightmare. For the child's sake, make sure you're ready to handle it before you jump in. It might be a breeze if you have a great kid, but there are no guarantees with kids.

• Posted

Would you go off medication to get pregnant upping your chances of having a "great" kid. Is there a friend or family member who might agree to take your child in an emergency or maybe foster care would temporarily meet your needs

• Posted

Hi Boo

I think the main issue is whether it's yourself that thinks you won't cope or the socail worker. Schizotypl personality disorder is the least severe of the cluster A group. A good point has been made about medication if you are on any I would talk to your psych about titration off any. Antipsychotics are not good for babies both before birth and during breast feeding. Please be aware if you are on antipsychotic medication one of the withdrawal symptons is psychosis. Its called sensitivity psychosis and is not caused by a return of any underlying illness but the medication withdrawal. It sounds like your boyfriend's dyspraxia is bad so his coordination is probably not good. This doesn't matter.

It sounds like you have both thought hard about this decision and that the social worker is for your boyfriend primarily. It does sound like you are both love each other and you want to share that love with a child.I would say go for it and be honest with the socail worker and say that you may need some support. There will be local mum's groups and other support available for you. Local charities may also help. Do consider your current social support network.

It does not sound as though your a stupid person, you are well aware of the difficulties that the social worker is going to potentially give you. And the above comments prove to reinforce the attitude of most people. Your diagnosis means that it has been decided you have some abnormal beliefs not in keeping with your cultural subclass. It does not mean you are incapable of raising an amazing child.

I get the impression that you and your boyfriend will consider all the facts. Like length of relationship and reasons why you both want a child.

All I can say is good luck and I hope of you decide to try for a child that you don't come up against too much opposition. I really hope I can say congratulations at some point.

P.S. any problems quote Article 8😉

• Posted

I want to start a family cos I'm at that age now where i want to be a mum....all my friends have kids....and sometimes i get upset cos that's what i want too....I talked to the psychiatrist about wanting a baby so he prescribed new medication that he said wouldnt harm the baby if i did fall pregnant....if I had too I would stop taking my meds....I've looked everywhere for information about this but can't find any....it would destroy me if i ever had to put my own child in to care...maybe because of my illness I should give up on wanting to be a parent and be on my own but it's difficult for me at the moment to let this go...It's natural that I want to be able to have a normal life and be able to make a family of my own...

• Posted

Boo

You go for it? your psychiatrist thinks it's a good idea. Forget what everyone else is saying there are many safeguards to prevent your child being automatically taken from you. Be honest with the social worker and ask what support is avalible to you whilst you are pregnant and aftr birth. Your friends will know as they have kids themselves. (Young mum's groups etc) Unless you or your partner have a history of violence against kids or you have major drug abuse problems or you go into hospital 9 times a year. Then I don't see any reason they could possibly provide to take your child into care. People with full blown schizophrenia are allowed to keep their kids you don't have that. You have not even been labaled paranoid or schizoid. Boo please start believing in yourself you are awesome. I hope the morning sickness isn't too bad.

You are absolutely 100% entitled to have a normal life and raise a kid or 20 if you want. I personally would hate to give birth 20 times😉 Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.