Sciatica Pain 10mgs feeling so tired after 2 weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been having sciatica pain for about 6 and a half months, I tried everything from Physio, massage, Accupuncture to try and fix it...the physio said it was the piriformis pushing on the nerve, however she never did a scan or anything.  finally I succumbed to going to the Dr as I just couldnt bear it anymore I was in so much pain I would cry during the day and take voltaren Rapid25 at night and about a week before going to dr added a codeine paracetemol with calmative.  The Dr has prescribed Amitryptaline 10mg a night.  I have to say it is finally starting to work for the pain and instead of my ankle feeling like its broken and pain down my leg constantly its mostly a tingling now and a gain....HOWEVER....in the last maybe 4 days I have started getting sleepy during the day...like now its 4.30pm and I feel like I cant think straight and just want to go to bed.  I see the Dr tomorrow with CT scan results and some blood test results...is there anything better for nerve pain because I really am not liking feeling out of it.  I hate taking medication and only take thyroxin.  I am concerned about medication damaging my gut lining too so was hoping to get off the rapid 25 and codeine at night. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Kaz

I have the same problem in both legs, my sciatia is ongoing without regular  remmision.

For me it is caused by PsA , that causes Psoriasis on the tendons and shieves, and extensive joint problems

Amytryptalene is the way forward for your trouble and I take them every evening thirty mins before bed. To stop or control the side effects I take this mediation just before bedtime, this stops the tirdness during the day.

If you are developing a chronic condition there are medications to try, that will not cause as much damage to your tummy, I am on Tramadol 4/8 50mg capsuls per day with Celebrex. The Amytryptalene is set at 75mg per evening. My condition is very bad to pick up on scans or Xrays and I hope something positive will show in the tests they are taking

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi

?I had a similar story to yours - sciatica both sides, piriformis muscle cramping and pressing on the sciatic nerve etc. Over time it got worse and worse until the pain left side was so intense I could no longer walk. I started on Amitriptyline and like you it started to address that awful pain - unfortunately it triggered sudden onset Glaucoma in a very rare form resulting in emergency laser eye surgery. So, no more Amitriptyline! Next tried Gabapenten; too many side effects like sleepiness, brain fog etc. So onto Pregabalin which has sorted all the sciatic pain completely. BUT, my lady Doctor noticed I walked with a stoop and sent me for a DXA scan which showed I had lost 2" in height and had severe osteoporosis with 3 lower vertebra having crumbled. This was the cause of my dreadful pain as the sciatic nerves are connected to those vertebra and with the bone crumbling onto and trapping these nerves. I am 66 so this is an age when osteoporosis can affect lives in a negative way. I do not know what age you are but it is worth looking into. Had I been sent for a scan 6 years earlier my story may have ended differently.

?I do feel for you as I know what you are going through and I really hope you have a good GP who will look into the cause rather than just eliminate the symptoms. Too often Physios blame the piriformis muscle for ongoing sciatica and you need to delve further. Stopping the Amitriptyline may result in the pain returning, but there are other things to try that do not make you sleepy all the time to contain your symptoms. I am doing well on Codeine and Pregablin but it does take time for initial side effects to settle down. I wish you well soon and keep us posted please

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth and Border...I am nearly 49 and a few years ago a xray showed degenerative disks.  I am hoping it is not the disks causing the pain, guess I will find out tommorow.  The pain does seem to be coming from the hip area though.  The accupuncturist suggested it could be a bone spur on the hip.  I have had heel spurs so I guess it's a possibility too. I have been taking at night just before bed so about 10pm and the sleepiness started a few days ago it was in the morning to begin with and I didnt want to get up.  yesterday it was milder but I felt a bit tired all day as if I hadnt slept well.  Today I was ok only a little sleepy not that noticeable this morning but by about 2pm I was foggy and couldnt remember how to spell some things properly and wanted to go to bed, I am still a little drowsy at 6.30pm but I have just been for a half hour walk so it may have waked me up a bit.  I will discuss with my DR tommorow was just hoping maybe someone had a better option I could ask about

• Posted

How long have you been on Amitriptyline? It takes about 3 weeks to start working on the pain and because everyone is so different some say the sleepiness goes after 6 weeks and others 8/12 and some that it never goes. Anything strong enough to deal with your pain is going to have side effects unfortunately and then it is a personal choice between pain or foggy brain and tiredness. I have already mentioned Gabapenten and Pregabalin as they are the other 2 you may be offered. They too have side effects but I find the Pregabalin help me to have a good night's sleep and deal with the pain. Yes, I do sometimes feel sleepy in the afternoons but a good walk, weather permitting, usually deals with this. If I give in and have an afternoon sleep, I don't sleep at all well that night. I have psoriatic arthritis and inflammatory, lymphoedema in legs and severe osteoporosis so I do know what taking meds for this that and the other clogs our lives up. However, as you are approaching 50 and have been told you have degenerative disc problems, you have a right to a DXA scan. There a many possible reasons for hip area pain and I hope for your sake the CT scan identifies any problems, but if not do ask for a DXA scan of your bone health. This scan identifies hip/pelvis area which are often the first to show any little holes in the bone. Fingers crossed for your appointment and best wishes to you

• Posted

Hello, try not to become reliant on AMITRYPTALINE, it is a horrible addictive drug even though it does help with nerve pain.

I myself take ZOMORPH which is Morphine based plus PROZAC 20mg twice a day & if it becomes really unbearable I take an IBUBRUFEN but, that is only when I am desperate as IBUBRUFEN causes STROKE which it did to me.

I have had several STROKES through medication, its a case of do I or don,t I. It is difficult to deal with pain especially Sciatica which I also suffer from day & night.

jACKIE

Ps AMITRPTALINE really takes you way out to a different place apart from  EARTH.

• Posted

One of the side effects of Amytryptiline is drowsiness the same goes for the codeine, I noticed you take the Amytryptiline at around 10pm at night I would suggest taking that earlier in the evening I usually take mine around dinner time so 630-7 also if you can try to cut down on the codeine. One other thing about Amytryptiline it can give you a very dry mouth so make sure to drink plenty of water.
    • Posted

Hello Becky, thirst is well known in taking ANITRYPTALINE plud dry mouth & drowsiness.

It is a very strong powerful & addictive drug so, take care.

Jackie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.