SCOLIOSIS AND LEG LENGTH DISCREPANCY

Posted , 5 users are following.

[b:fa29ddb2ee][i:fa29ddb2ee]

My husband was diagnosed with scoliosis as a teenager due to his legs being different lengths. 2inches in fact. But was too frightened to have the operation as he had heard and seen so many horror stories.

He is now 35yrs old and is in severe agony all the time. His curve in his spine has got worse and his leg length discrepancy is now 3inches.

We know that it is inevitable that he will eventually end up in a wheel chair without having the op, but doctors have advised him that the operation would be the final straw as it is major surgery and they wouldn't be sure whether it would just be on his legs or spine as well. Also it wasn't any guarantee that it would be successful. The trouble is the difference in the leg length is not just either lower or upper leg its both. He has been fitted with a raised shoe, and obviously being only 35 he worries about what other people think of him.

I would love to hear from people with similar experiences, so please keep in touch!!![/i:fa29ddb2ee][/b:fa29ddb2ee]

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have just had 2 operations had a double twist in my spine!! didnt have leg diferences but my body was twisting to the left! my chest was getting crushed, you could see the way i was leaning and one of my hips moved differently, i got told i would be in a wheel chair if i didnt have the op. I had a 59 and a 56 twist and they were getting worse in months it was scary!! im in my 3rd month of recovery and everyday is getting easier still have bad days and some days are worse than others!! I would disscus it with your doctor about evrything write down any questions i had loads to ask got in there and forgot!! i am pleased i had the op my back looks so much better so when it healed properly fingers crossed all will be good! I was worried about having it because they only really do it in teens im 27 but i got to the hospital and there was people my age and older havind the 2 stage op and one went home fine it really help to see other that had had it!! dont know the risks for u but i would rather chance the op and its risk seems as i would be in a wheel chair in a few years anyway!! wanted to try anything so i could give my 3 year old a good life! would love to hear from anyone else who has been through anything simalar and good luck! xx :D
    • Posted

I am so glad too hear you are recovering well from your surgery. My consultant gave me the phone no of a lady who had similar to what I am having done and she had 2 surgeries. Although mine is mainly lumbar i still get out of breath very easily due to the crushed chest. How long were you in hospital for ? Iws told 7-10 days. Did it get rid of some of the pain at first or did it happen very gardually? Are youstill taking as much medication or have you managed to tailer it of.

I knew alady who was 72 yrs old who ha dthe surgery last yr and is geting on great.

I ams pleased for you and hope you continue to improve.Jean smile

• Posted

I was diagnosed with scheuermann's scoliosis at 16 and have being dealing with the pain since. my family would not allow me to have the opperation at that time due to the risks involved I now have 2 children aged 3 and 5 and am finding it a constant struggle to be just like other parents because of the pain I am in. I am waiting to see a consultant to see if I can still have the opperation and weather my curve and twist has gotten worse. I am now 25 and think I have tried to ignore my problem for to long its time to face my deamons and get this curse and constant pain sorted because painkillers are not the answer and often dont help.
  • Posted

Hi I am due to have surgery for lumbar scoliosis on 17th January 2015. I was diagnosed with it after my 2nd right hip replacement in 2006. Unfotunately after the surgery I had a leg length discrepancy of 20 mm on top of what i already had. 20mm.  My surgeon said it was the only way he could stabilise my hip.  I had shoe raises but it didn't stop the pain. To cut a long story short, after another 5 yrs of pain he refered me to a surgeon who could make my leg shorter. I have had a 3rd replacement in January this year and now my leg length is ony

7mm out. I had to have it done before they would consider my scoliosis operation. I am now 66 yrs old, 67 in january, I have been told it will probably mean 2 surgeries. each one about 9 hrs. I have decided to go ahead and have the surgery so hopefully I can get my life back.  I am in a wheelchair most of the time when out. I have used 2 crutches for the last 6 yrs and now i spend most of my time either sitting down or lieing down. I am on strong medication (opiates)etc.

I feel that the time is right for me as I cannot stand anymore of the pain. It takes 2 surgeons to do the operation. Mine showed up in my hips, I am going to have a 2 rods and cages from T12 -L4/5 and maybe even more. Although I am quite scared of having the op. I feel i don' have any other choice now. I have exhausted all other options.

I will let you know how I get on.

Regards Jean

• Posted

Hi Ellie i wa swondering if your husband has gone down th esurgery route yat as it is over 12mth since your mail. Jean smile 
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 19 and had my operation 3 years ago, my spine had 2 bad curves my surgeon was surprised that I could still walk! I was in so much pain and had to deal with it whilst still being at school. I know there are some horror stories but honestly having the operation was a complete success and the best decision I ever made. I even grew 4 inches! I had the best possible experience and I am in no pain right now. Before the op I was scared because I didn't think it would be work going through the op and recovery but it was definitely worth every minute of it, the recovery was so rewarding as I could see my self getting stronger and in less pain every single day. I can't stress just how much it has improved my life for the better. So if your husband still has the operation as an option then I encourage him to do it as he will be so much happier and better off as a result of it smile if you want any more information about my experience I will be happy to help. From Isobel x
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 19 and had my operation 3 years ago, my spine had 2 bad curves my surgeon was surprised that I could still walk! I was in so much pain and had to deal with it whilst still being at school. I know there are some horror stories but honestly having the operation was a complete success and the best decision I ever made. I even grew 4 inches! I had the best possible experience and I am in no pain right now. Before the op I was scared because I didn't think it would be work going through the op and recovery but it was definitely worth every minute of it, the recovery was so rewarding as I could see my self getting stronger and in less pain every single day. I can't stress just how much it has improved my life for the better. So if your husband still has the operation as an option then I encourage him to do it as he will be so much happier and better off as a result of it smile if you want any more information about my experience I will be happy to help. From Isobel x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.