Screw sticking out?

Posted , 29 users are following.

Has anyone else had their screw start to come out? Well thats what I think it feels like. Its a pointed hard bit on the bunion site and my foot has started to hurt again when I walk.

I have contacted my surgeon who is going to take xrays next week. Do they take the screw out under general anaesthetic? Am really fed up as I was just beggining to walk properly again after 16 weeks but still can only wear Sketchers Gowalk shoes. Anyone else experienced anything like this I would be grateful for advice.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jacckie. Sorry, this won't be helpful, I'm just asking if you will keep us updated on your progress. I know metalwork does "migrate" sometimes. It's good they're not keeping you waiting about for too long by the sound of it (though probably any length of time is too long when you're wondering why you can't walk well). I have a broken-off pin in my metatarsal as well as two screws and I keep wondering if the pin will migrate! All the best for next week!
  • Posted

Hi, I had a screw which caused pain on the ball of my foot when I walked and could only walk on the outside of my foot because it was very uncomfortable.  I eventually had the screw removed and the pain magically vanished.  Hope you can manage to get yours sorted.

• Posted

Hi my name is Sandy on 03/06/2018 I am having surgery on my ankle to have a screw removed and only the screw that is sticking out and hurts very bad.I'm looking forward to having this surgery done to end this. Im scared to go thru this again. The surgeon told me that there only removing the screw cause the ankle has healed and I should be out and about to go to work the next day. Wow I'm surprised but I'll keep you updated as to how everything went. And happy to read your artical how it was magical how it vanished. I'm praying that I can say that as well. Well getting ready for bed and up I go in the morning for my surgery.

• Posted

Hi Sandy!  Hope all goes well during your surgery today.  Let us know how it went.  Would also like to know what particular procedure you had done previously to your ankle, and if they gave you anesthesia for today's surgery, and any restrictions for this recovery time, and how long that will actually be. Again, hope all goes/went well today!!

• Posted

Hi Susan, 

I am 6 months post surgery and from the beginning I have had pain at the union site and under the ball of my foot when I walk. Can’t remove screws just yet as none hasn’t completely fused. Where was your pain? How long after the surgery was it removed? All ok now? 

Appreciate your feedback. Maria 

• Posted

Wow, sounds like me, I am 5 months post op and have had this for about 2 months. I went back to surgeon who xrayed etc and has come to conclusion that it is an undissolved stitch knot that has picked up and formed scar tissue. I am back to see him at the end of this month. He told me it would go away. I have had massage, physio acupuncture and homeopathy . It is very painful. We are going into winter here and the only thing I can wear are the roman sandals that fit around the lump. I sympathise with you as it has been more painful than the surgery. Hopefully he will cut it out then I can get on with life.

let me know how you go.

• Posted

Hi Amanda!  How did it go w your stitch knot?  Did your Dr remove it after all w surgery?  If so, did he cut into the exact same incision area w you under anesthesia?  And what was your actual recovery process like?  And how long was your recovery from the removal procedure?  As of today (3/6/2018), I am 6wks post op Bunionectomy on RT foot (Austin involving 2 screws, and had a bone spur shaved off the top of foot), and have 2 stitches clearly sticking out of incision area.  rolleyes  The medical term is called spitting stitches or spitting sutures.  I'd be interested to know how things worked out for you w your situation and your stitch knot inside.  Thx!

• Posted

Thanks everyone for the info, I feel much better that I am not alone. Will update you all next week.
  • Edited

Jackie, mine actually showed up on an x-Ray, could see the tip of the screw protruding into the soft tissue.  Having it removed was a very minor op and I was back to normal in no time at all. Good luck.
  • Edited

Hi Jacckie - i'm new to this forum and i'm having the smae problem as you wtih the screws.  I had my initial scarf akin osteotomy on 18 December 2014 and all was going great until about 4-6 weeks ago when i was getting pain from the bottom of my scar but the rest of it was fine.  I went to my GP and she said she could feel the screws "just sitting there"!!  I had an appointment with my consultant on 1 May and told him about the pain.  He said that in my last xray in February that the screws were sitting proud!  He has now agreed to take these out and i'm waiting for an appointment which could be 9-12 weeks.  He will cut through the origincal scar but only part of it - he won't need to go through the full length.  He will remove the screws under general anaesthetic and stitch & bandage it.  I will have the bandage on and stitches in for 10 days and will be off work for about 2 weeks.  Hope you get some relief from the pain soon. x
  • Posted

Hi everyone i'm back from seeing the surgeon. xray of the offending foot showed the screw is on the move. Apparently this is common as the bones fuse either the screw goes deeper in or out - my case it is on the move outwards but he said 4 months is too early to have it removed. I have to wait until the end of July.  It will be done under local and I won't feel a thing!! No I don't have to go back to wearing the boot and I will be discharged after a couple of hours and back to normal.  I was however given a second option, as my left foot was so bad originally and it still goes over to the left even after the bunion op, I could have a plate put in to straighten it like my right foot which means another big op.  I have to make my mind up in the next few weeks and have it done asap before the original op site heals completely.  Really not sure I could or want to go through all that again so I guess I have just talked myself out of that one already! Just glad its quite normal to have the screw removed and can be done under local!!

He also said that they have brought out a disolvable screw now but these have a drawback that as they disolve the foot thinks its a foreign body and swells up alot and goes red but we all know our feet and ankles swell up after a day at work anyway! This might be the way forward for anyone considering having the operation as it will take away the possibility of the screw having to be removed months later just when you think everything is nearly back to normal.

Good luck to all about to go under the knife and all of us on the road to recovery, keep blogging! x

• Posted

Hi Jackie, I am 6 months post surgery and from the beginning I have had pain at the union site and under the ball of my foot when I walk. Can’t remove screws just yet as none hasn’t completely fused. Where was your pain? How long after the surgery was it removed? All ok now? Appreciate your feedback 
  • Posted

hi i got the same problem,the out of hrs doctor told me it is a k wire sticking out,i thought i never even had a k wire put it.i had a bunion op 12 weeks ago been back to work 6 weeks now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.