SCS

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had 9 spinal operations due to on going stunosis of the spine ,I have had a replacement disc a C6 ,and various other operations at L1 and below.

I had an SCS fitted at the John Radcliffe in Oxford,some 5 years ago,fantastic results for my lower back pain and legs.

This treatment under care and attention from the support staff has been second to none,it does not work for every sufferers of pain ,but with a combination of drugs makes life some what easier.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have u heard of wallis ligament s spinal operation less invasive than fusion . Iam going through a few options with my neurosurgeon nxt time I see him. I had a emergency decompression discectomy 2013 it need s to be done again, as well as spinal fusion .
    • Posted

Not heard of that, but I do not require fusion,as I get older may be,thank you for this info, JR in Oxford is fantastic,hope you have great neurosurgeon as I have had.
  • Posted

Hi Paul, I am happy to hear SCS has worked for you, I'm still trying to get to the starting tape but I live in Shropshire where all funding has been vetoed! Which sucks in my mind but at least I know there's a chance for some pain relief even if it means I've got to move to get it.

hope you continue to do well

• Posted

Hi I found your post after doing a google search for post op recovery info.  My husband had the SCS implant done on 9th Nov last year for chronic knee pain.  He has suffered for a very long time and was put forward for this by the Pain Management team because a TKR is not an option.

??His pain levels in the knee have reduced by 80% which is fantastic, he was off work for two months recovering and spent a lot of that time asleep or sat in recliner chair. Work agreed to a phased return and last week was his first full week back.  But he's having some issues that we don't know if they are SCS related or just a recovery thing.   He had an incision  along his spine for the wires and one along the top left side of his buttock for the pack.   He is still suffering pain at the buttock incision and we thought perhaps its because the device is pushing against the scar tissue and causing discomfort...did you have anything like this, did it take long to go away.

?He has also got pain in his back, its above the spinal incision, and he says it feels like its bone deep not muscles, I wondered if its the wires rubbing on the inside of the spinal column and needs time to bed in.

?He's also suffering some spinal spasms at the base of his back, which is a new pain and we're not sure what thats being caused by.

?Do you have any insights please, I see you are 5years on. Its 3 months today for hubby so still very early days, but none of the above things ever came up in the consulation period nor can I find anything online.

Many thanks

KR

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.