Second Hip Replaced

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hi all back home after my second Hip Replacement operation, it all went to plan was a great success, and both of my legs are the same length, hurrarr!! and I am at home, got home last night about six in the evening, and went to bed got up at midnight for TV with the wife, and retired about 5am.

The Epidural was fine but I asked to be put to sleep, but did not sleep, so I could feel the hammering and the Milling, as my body was moving, only slightly as I was in some sort of Medical Vice...like I was on a milling machine, I used to be a Fitter/Turner so engineering wise I was on the table.. There was banging, and hammering, and sharp chiselling, oh, god.....But no pain, and I was on the table for 90 mins.

I had no stitches again just glue and Steri Strips. There is no swelling in my leg whatever, unlike my right side that was three times the size at the ankle. I also have on a new type of dressing that is rubberised, and I can take a shower leaving it on, but just a quick in and out but leave the dressing alone, and stays on for the whole two week only comes off back at the hospital after two weeks, so have a letter for the District Nurse, in it, it tells her to leave the dressing well alone to leave well alone.

So at least six weeks off now and a great time of year to have all that time off, and back to work around my birthday on 20, will be careful not to work on that day and have a week's paid leave after I get signed back to work for better recuperation, like I did with the right side, and now I just have to wait to get my life back, the best birthday present anyone could ask for.

Thanks for looking in on my patch again and will find some shots to add here to brighten this post some more.  Kindest regards to all of you.  Ian.

7 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Excellent news Ian, we have been waiting to hear.   You know the drill now (pun intended) just stick with the plan and balance the rest and exercise. 

Keep us us posted on your progress. 

Healing hugs 

Laura 

• Posted

Hoorah! Ian good to hear from you. Now good luck with the recovery 

Jx

• Posted

Yeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhh so pleasedm your back home I have only had one hip done but I did have a leg discrepancy of 1.5inches before my op. To have both legs the same length and to be able to stand up straight was superb. They all laughed at the hospital because all I wanted to do was to stand up straight smile. Good luck Ian I knopw you will keep us informed, this forum has made us some nice friends toegther. I am struggling to open your pics at the moment, internet is very slow, apparently it's because microsoft has thrown out windows 10 and everyone is downloading it cos it's free. but no matter will have a look later. Love Gill xxx
  • Posted

Dear Ian,

I am glad everything went according to plan...Take care and enjoy your time off.

Ella 

• Posted

Hi Ian,

Really pleased to hear all went well. I'm in a similar position to you with second THR due next week  - hope your recovery is nice and straight forward. 

• Posted

Good news!

i, too, heard the hammering during my first op. Unfortunately, had nightmares about it for weeks. For next 3 ops, full anaesthetic demanded! 😄

Continued good recovery. 

Elaine

• Posted

Great stuff Ian - glad everthing went well.  Hope it continues like that!  

All the best

Neil

• Posted

Hurray your home and on the road to recovery.

Thanks for letting us know.

The pictures are awesome.

Where were they taken?

• Posted

Excellent news your home, and on the road to recovery😀

loving the photos! I now want a walk on the beach! 

Linzi x

• Posted

Ian, so glad Al went well and you are home glad it's all over for you. Take care sue
  • Posted

Welcome home.

I wonder why it is so many of us struggle all nigh,t but then fianlly fall asleep at 5am? It is ike 5am is the bewitching hour or something.

You got olucky with no swelling as most people who write from the UK write about having swelling. I didn't have any at all when I had mine done in France.

Did you get plastic or ceramic?

• Posted

Hi Jody, it is caramic, very hard, and they make golf clubs out of it, should last untill I am 70...and have a nice life pain free inbetween.

Ian +++

• Posted

Good old ceramic Ian- mine is too. Hopefully it will last us both out!

So glad everything went well - a nice pain free life ongoing for you

Best of luck Linda xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.