Second time around

Posted , 4 users are following.

After a skiing accident I had my hip pinned together. I then returned home and an x-ray has shown that it has all gone wrong. So I now have to have it all taken out and a total hip replacement done. You can imagine I am fed up. But I am so scared of this going wrong again. Also I spent 8 weeks in pain with my left leg getting weaker daily. I go in next week and I feel ill every time I think about it. Anyone else done this?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Margaret,

goodness !!! That sounds terrible ... Is it your left hip that was pinned together and now had to have full hip replacement surgery?  

not that it matters, pain is pain - of course you are fed up and are scared - 

Not sure how "pinned together" looks though ... were bones broken ?  

Warm welcome to this forum of hippies ... good that you found us here - you will find support and understanding like nowhere else, personal stories and experiences, tips and support and unconditional love !!!! 

can you share a little bit more about yourself?  

have you seen the xray ?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi,

Yes, the femur broken and the surgeon fixed it with screws and pins. I thought all was fine. This was a skiing resort so I reasoned that they were really used to this OP. But no. The screws have moved. I was ever so careful and did nothing stupid. After this next one I am going to be paranoid. And I am in awful pain with this leg and frankly scared to move in case I do damage.

• Posted

You asked me to say a bit about myself. Well, I'm a 70 year old lady. Yes. I know I am old to be still skiing, but I love it. When you are 75 they give you a free lift pass and that was my aim. But now I am not so sure. How depressing! I have become an old lady. And the blasted accident wasn't even my fault--a man slammed into me totally out of

Control!

• Posted

Hi Margaret,

One thing first, your never too old, it's just a number. So sorry to hear of the accident. I'm 13 weeks post op and it's the best thing I have done. You will find it rough to start with but hopefully it will get rid of your pain and you will feel better.

Take care

• Posted

Hi Margaret - I can understand how frustrating and worrying it is for you . You are so active normally that I imagine you are fairly fit and that will go a long way in supporting your recovery. If the repair hasnt worked then it sounds like the right thing to do to now replace it - you,ll be pain free , have a functioning hip and will be able to get back to your full lifestyle . You have not become an old lady , just a temporarily affected young at heart one 😀- i am sure all will go well this time and you,ll be back on your ski,s in no time . Big hug xxxxx
  • Posted

Hello Margaret, what a shame you had the bones pinned in the first place. I broke my femur and the consultant didn't offer me the choice but said at 60, a THR would be the best option and the recovery would be better. He actually said pinning the bone probably would result in a hip replacement at a later date. When you suffer a break the blood supply is often compromised, so the bone doesn't knit together.

Good luck with the op, you never know you might get back on the ski slopes, but let your body tell you. I had a massive breakthrough at 6 weeks post op when I started to feel human again and was able to drive.

Ali xx 

• Posted

Hi Margaret, 

Just checking in with you ... It must have been a shock for you to hear that you need THR now ... 

I am so sorry and understand how let down you feel ... 

I don't feel that there is an alternative dear Margaret - it will get worse, the pain, immobility, quality of life ...

Maybe you won't be able to ski down hill again, maybe you will .... I am sure that a fit woman like you will find another sport within your abilities - how about cross-country skiing? 

Please let us know how you are getting on, okay?

angel blessings

renee

• Posted

Oh , when I was told I made a complete idiot of myself in the x-ray dept. I cried and cried. All the poor little kids waiting to go in were horrified And I was supposed to be going to Madagascar in September for 3 months to work as

a volunteer in s school up in the hills.! Now I am re-thinking.

• Posted

cheesygrinawww... poor kids indeed - 

You know this saying: everything happens for a reason ? rolleyes 

Wishing you a lot of strength and peace of mind ..

All is well  ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Well, I have had the op!

First day out of bed was scary, and I nearly fainted . But second attempt was much better.i managed to walk to the loo😄

• Posted

dear margaret ,

Congratulations !!! that is absolutely fabulous to be able to go to the loo on day 2 by your self - no small feat ...

Are you full weight bearing? 

I am so happy for you and the great outcome --- you sound much happier and confident --

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.