Second toe dropped down

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a bunion op on the 27 July, healing well and in only a little pain.  The second toe had been pushed slightly up by the big toe but was not a problem for me in any way.  The sugeon told me that he would need to loosen the tendon to the second toe so it could drop into place.  But, and it is a big but, it has dropped down below the other toes and the toenail end is curling up and it is now impossible to wear anything other than the surgical shoe.  The swelling has gone down sufficiently for me to wear a  wide sandel or shoe, but because the second toe is curling  underneath, I simply cannot slide my foot into any of my footwear.  Has this happened to anyone else and, if so, did you need another operation to correct it?  Am seeing my consultant next Monday and  I am dreading the outcome.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Never heard of this. What does the Surgeon say. Ask him if it ever happened to any of his other patient. Good odea to go for a 2nd opinion.

good luck

• Posted

Hello Charlotte. I am seeing the surgeon who performed the op next week as that is when my post op appointment is due. I was very wary of having the op because I couldn't find any one who was happy with this procedure and now I am cross with myself for not listening to my doubts. It has got to be sorted somehow even if it means losing the toe.

• Posted

I had mine done 14 weeks ago. I think it is worth the hardship. My surgeon did not let me walk on the foot for 8 weeks and then for two weeks on the heel only. He taped my big toe to the right of my toe next to it so that it would not press down on it. I have to change the tape often but it helped to keep both toes separate. I am sure your second opinion doctor will help you. I prefer you using the 2nd doctor if he sounds like he knows what he is doing.

Good luck.

Charlotte

• Posted

You the 2nd toe is what is called a hammer toe.  The doctor should be able to repair it, but DO NOT let him cut the bottom of your foot to do so.  I had mine operated on last year and they cut on top and underneath the toe to loosen the tendon.  The bottom has developed so much scar tissue it is about the size of your thumb.  The toe is still sticking up - does not lay down.  You will have to reach and decide what is the best decision on this surgery for you.  I have a friend who had hammer toe surgery and the results were ok.
  • Posted

Janet, I forgot to tell you not only did I have the Bunion taken care of but I also had a hammer toe right next to my big toe. The Sureon cut the toe to repair it and put a pin in it to keep it straight. The pin remain for about 6 weeks and then he removed it . It looks fine now.

I hope you have your problem resolved. Be paitient it may be repairable.. You only had the Surgery about 3 weeks ago. That is much too soon to see any results.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Janet, I had a tendon release on my second and third toe as well as a bungion operation last year, my second toe like yours curled up with the top of the second toe pointing down..I could not put shoes on without my toe curling up in my shoe. I started to get a callus on the bottom of my toe due to the tip of my toe hitting the ground.. One and half years later I am now into to week three after having the toe and the next toe fused for fix the problem. Not something I really fancied having done but it was the only option. I don't like the idea of never being able to bend my toes, but it was my only choice and I understand you soon get used to it. Xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.