seeing rainbow circles around lights after cataract surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I just had cataracts removed from both eyes yesterday and my vision is blurry and I see rainbow circles around lights.  Is this normal?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear and congrats on your cataract surgery. Blurry vision is typically expected and so are different shades/colors of light. Which lenses did you have done and for what focus? Multifocals and having monovision need a longer time for adaption as well.
    • Posted

Hola Jason, I had both eyes done at the same time.  Left eye 20.5 D right eye 21.0 D. as to the other question you asked I don't know the answer.  I went through the Lion's Club here in Costa Rica, they were extremely helpful.  My vision seems to change throughout the day.  I was told I might have to wear reading glasses, but thus far that has not been a problem.  Thanks so much for the support and comments.  Pura Vida, i.e. have a good life

• Posted

It's surprising you had BOTH eyes done the same day. That's unusual. However, the blurriness is quite normal. It will diminish and go away as time goes by. For some it's days and for others it's weeks. For me, it took weeks. Rainbow circles are not unusual but not as frequent as blurriness. All in all, just give it time and you will find things improving. Your doctor should be scheduling follow-up visits, which are routine, so you can discuss any concerns.

• Posted

Thanks for the encouragement.   Living in Costa Rica and speaking very little Spanish it gets a "little" scary at time.  Things seem to be very clear at times and then the vision "kind of " fads out.   But it has only been three days so I will try to be patient, not my greatest of qualities.  I will keep you posted as to my progress.  Thanks so much again.  As we say here, pura vida.  (Have a good life)

• Posted

Every one I know who had cataract surgery would have one eye done and then later on the other eye. Did the doctor give you eye shields to sleep with when you go to bed. That is what my doctor gave me and told me whenever I would sleep at night or during naps during the day to use the eye shields at that time. I also was given eye drops, two different kinds to use three times a day. I hope you are using them. I had blurry vision at least a month later, but then everything was clearer than before. Even with eye glasses my close vision came back and with prescription eye glasses I can see with them or without them. But if my diabetes is to high, I have use my prescription eye wear , most most days , there is no need for any eye wear. I had one eye done on August 10th and the other on August 24th, last year. My vision was so bad I thought of taking up braille. before cataract surgery. I get blurry vision once in a while but usually it doesn't last long, but it usually happens when I stare at or use my cell.phone too much.

• Posted

Dear John, thank you so much for your information.  I don't know why my Dr. decided to do both at the same time and yes I do have the eye shields and drops.   My vision fluxuates during the day and the rainsbows are lessening.  (In a way I will miss them).  Thanks again for taking the time to respond.  As we say here in Costa Rica, pura Vida, good life.   Alan

• Posted

New question?   I had my cataracts removed about three months ago and I feel as if I am wearing contacts.  Especially in the morning my eyes, one eye in particular feels gritty and it takes a couple of hours for my eyes to feel normal.  Is this a typical symptom of Cataract surgery?  P.S.  how do I post a new question?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.