Seeing the doc tomorrow don't know what to suggest....

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi people

i wrote on this page a couple of weeks ago questioning the menopause or depression

I display menopause symptoms but may FSH & Lh have come back satisfactory.......I feel rough but my bloods say not ? 

surely depression can't make your brain fussy or slight constant the threat of thrush type symptoms for example.....usually excercise no problem but can't get my bum out the door!?

i don't want to go back on antidepressants now I'm off them finally 

any ideas would be welcome......feel a bit lost as to what to do or suggest to my doctor tomorrow....don't want to waste his time.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm in the same position.  Over the past year I have missed a couple of periods and I have some menopause symptoms but my FSH blood test is normal.  I don't have any advice but just wanted to say you are not alone.  Good luck with the doctors.
  • Posted

I'm in same position albeit I also had a knee op 24th March and I'm taking a long time to recover. I'm 56 and last period was 22 June 2014. Was menopausal before op, but things have gone haywire since then. Night sweats are horrendous, am weepy, dont like going out alone, have feelings of tight pain in both legs (not from knee op), was told this leg pain was because of lack of estrogen. I'm so tired in the day due to being awake numerous times in the night. GP said I was depressed, gave me antidepressants but I dont want to go down that route. Then GP gave me clonidine for night sweats, but leaflet said they could cause depression, so I'm not taking those either.

At the moment I take menopace plus (have been since 2009) and have just started to take black cohosh so will see how I go. Alot of depression symptoms are similar to menopause symptoms and I think I've just got myself in turmoil.

Am definitely coming back as a man!

• Posted

I have a lot of joint pain, think it might be lack of estrogen.  I was thinking of trying menopace, is it any good?
    • Posted

I am taking menopause vitamins they have helped but not enough if I could get even some of my get up and go back I'd be happy.......& if you asked me am I depressed I'd say no I'm not tearful I'm just fed up with theses symptoms 

if  the doc put a label on it and I knew what was wrong for sure and how I could manage it I'd just get on with it.....manage it

• Posted

You've had a rough time bless you 

know what you mean about coming back as a man but just think of all them shoes you'd miss out on lol

• Posted

Hi deb 

this is how i have been feeling myself a bit fuzzy not sleeping so good tired anxious ridden its hard to cope with all of this today i just want to sleep but am to restless just want to crysad

• Posted

Hi Susan, have you tried Magnesium ? I recommend it strongly if you haven't. A liquid one I feel is the best in Nano grade, absorbs better than tablets. Helps with sleep so well and anxiety.

Deb

• Posted

FSH and LH levels change throughout your cycle ( if you're still having any periods at all) so they may be normal one day and different the next. If you're skipping periods but still getting some then you're most likely in Peri Menopause which your symptoms can  all be part of! I take 100mg of Vit B6 everyday for the Foggy Brain, Anxiety and depressed feelings. Works well for me! Some women take 150 mg.  There is a list of 66 menopausal  Symptoms......I'm not sure how to attach it so just Google it! You'll be surprised how many issues are affected by Menopause!! 
    • Posted

Thankyou Pat I'll have a look and look into the vit b6 anything worth a try 

Tired of feeling flat if you know what I mean.

• Posted

How is your progestogen/progesterone level?  They are usually the first to drop and need supplementing.  Ask dr about this.  Also ferritin iron test, and vit B12 and vit D tests.

There is a cause and you want dr to find it.

• Posted

Hi Sheryl

will ask about prog. & B12 levels.

ferritin vit D are fine 

Thankyou 

• Posted

How did it go at the doctors?
    • Posted

Hi all my bloods where normal and he said my oestrogen level was high !

apparently I'm not menopausal !! I've fibromyalgia and he suggested I go back on 10 mg of amitriptyline to control it which was the antidepressant I was on.

But how  come the doc at the well women clinic said I was starting with the menopause which is what my symptoms suggest 

Im confused 

And Thankyou so much for asking x

• Posted

Hi Deb, Was the Dr who checked your estrogen a GP or a GYN?  If you are still having random periods your estrogen level will change throughout your cycle. Do you have hot flashes? Every woman's symptoms are a little bit different because their estrogen and progesterone levels are unique to each woman. Speaking from my own experience, I had very few and very tolerable hot flashes! I had the foggy brain, anxiety, tenseness in my body, joint pain, exhaustion and just feeling like crap. My estrogen was high and my progesterone was low. Your symptoms sound very much like perimenopause! The B6 I told you about really helped me a lot! Someone mentioned Magnesium. I haven't needed it but I know it helps with a lot of the symptoms of menopause plus it's great for the bones during this time when our female hormones are going a bit crazy!! Hope this helps! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.