seizure following anti-rabies vacc

Posted , 3 users are following.

Following a scratch from a pet dog in late april, I decided to go for a rabies booster dose (2 doses of RABIPUR) since I had already taken the full course last year. Around 12 days after the rabies booster (on tuesday 5th May), I had a full-on tonic clonic seizure in my sleep (around 12.30 am). The convulsion lasted for around 3-5 mins and I ended up biting my tongue badly. I have no personal or family history of seizures (febrile or otherwise) and this was the first time ever. 15-30 mins (not sure) before the seizure occurred I remember smelling burning garbage/burnt rubber.

The next morning, I rushed to the local neurologist who asked me to get an MRI/MRV + EEG + lots of bloodwork done. the MRI/venal MRI was normal,so were the EEG and the blood-tests. The neurologist diagnosed it as Late onset seizure disorder and asked me to start with KEPPRA 750 mg twice a day. The same evening I went to another Neuro for the EEG and looking at my reports and history, he advised me NOT to start with the medicine and wait for another seizure before starting the AEDs.

Also neurologist no. 1 noted that the only real insult was the rabies booster shot and was concerned about the possibility of ADEM. But since the MRI was ok he let it go.

Now its been 7 days since the seizure. I have balance issues, limb weakness, difficulty remembering stuff and since yesterday I have extremely itchy palms (with small red spots) and itchy eyes. Its so bad, I was unable to sleep at all last night. Also both my hands and legs (esp my legs) keep falling asleep even when I am sitting normally and I keep getting that pins and needles sensation.

My query is this:

1. Is there a possibility of developing ADEM or any other form of vaccine related encephalitis in the days or weeks ahead?

2. the itchy palms and eyes are a common vaccine adverse effect...should I be concerned about that?

3. there are more than a few cases of otherwise healthy individuals having seizures/convulsions after taking nootropic vaccines like anti-rabies, Japanese Encephalitis, TBE etc. http://www.jmedicalcasereports.com/content/7/1/66 pls do check out this link. If my seizure was vaccine meditated...is there a way to treat the condition (with steroids etc) and/or prevent it from recurring?

Pls do let me know

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dr44863

I’ve never heard of ADEM and looked it up on the web. I goggled ADEM. In Wikipedia the article discusses possible side effects of vaccines: “The only vaccine proven to induce ADEM is the Semple form of the rabies vaccine, but hepatitis B, pertussis, diphtheria, measles, mumps, rubella, pneumococcus, varicella, influenza, Japanese encephalitis, and polio vaccines have all been implicated.”

I would do further research on the web of possible side effects. Most of ADEM cases appear to be related to children and vaccinations.

Steve

• Posted

thanks for the quick reply steve. Actually im not allowed to post links here or I would post more than a few examples of adults developing ADEM after getting a modern anti-rabies vacc
  • Posted

Hello, I have absolutely no idea about your situation and it is probably not related at all to ours, but I thought I would say that my son had all his pre school jabs (2nd dose MMR, tetanus etc) and later on that same day he had his first seizure, he has since been diagnosed with epilepsy, he doesn't have full on seizures but he was having up to 50 in 24 hours. It is completely controlled with medication, I commented to his consultant that it was too much of a coincidence that they started after his jabs. He said the shock to the system can trigger it. Not sure whether that means something at some point would have triggered it though.

Hope you get sorted.

• Posted

Steve's reply came up after I had posted mine...quite interesting to read.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.