self harm

Posted , 2 users are following.

I really struggling with lving at home. I feel there is a lot of expectaions of me to do weel and go far in life like everyone is in my family. I feel i just let them down all the time and they hardly speak to me. I cope with this by self harming which they do not know about. I ended up in a and e yesterday and didnt tell them i fear i am going to get worse. Has anyone got any ideas or does anyone know any groups that i could attend? Thank You

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Kirsty,

thank you for reaching out. 

Do you mind my asking how old you are?

the reason I ask is that you sound much like me when I was younger and living at home. You really are not alone. You're very right to search out support, because we want you to be safe and get better.

you will get better.

kirsty, do you have a mind charity in your home area? Your GP, can also put  you forward for other resources such as therapy etc. Have you heard of or tried cbt therapy at all?

sending a hug to you x

• Posted

Hiya thank you for your reply

I am 24 years old. I always feel like a let down and family dont really talk to me much which makes me self harm. They do not know i do this.

There is a MIND charity near to where i live but i have been putting of rigning them for an appointment i am to scared.

I am worried that if people know i self harm that i will lose my job.

• Posted

Hi Kirsty,

well please be assured that services such as mind are strictly confidential. They could not even speak to your family about you, let alone your employer. They're there just for you. They will not discuss you with any other people.

if you can't face ringing them, send them an email. They will then send you a form to complete and invite you to go and see them. As you seem a bit isolated from your family maybe try to find others you can talk to. I know that probably feels impossible, but we're here for you. Please don't feel embarrassed and ashamed of yourself. Depression tells us lies and makes us believe those lies. I think you then hurt yourself to focus the distress outwards. 

Its a cruel, horrible condition, but you will get better. You just need some help.

let me know how you've been the last couple of days.

sending a hug x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.