Selincro/Nalmefene Side Effects

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi All

I am in the process of trying Selincro and will power alone. About 2 weeks ago i took my 1st Selincro,waited over 2 hours then has 3 glasses of wine. Massive side effects and felt very spaced out and ill for 2 days with no sleep, also had the urge to urinate frequently. Has anyone had this urge to urinate side effect?

Was very scared to keep going but since then,nothing for 9 days including no alcohol and after reading this forum i thought i would try 1/2 a tablet put into a emptied capsule. Felt spaced out again but not as bad. Didn't drink at all but made the mistake of taking a sleeping tablet that night. Wham all the side effects of day 1 come flooding back,sick for 24 hours.

It's now day 14 and i have taken 1/2 a tablet again and had 1 can of beer and don't feel like any more so thats a total of 4 drinks in 2 weeks due to how sick it has made me. So i am posting this.

I feel like i need to get my system used to this medication as it is possibly my last chance as i am a alcoholic. I feel that i am spacing my attempt's too far apart as in 3 times in 14 days but it makes me so sick but it also seems to stop the desire to drink. has anyone else had any success with introducing this medication slowly. Cheers any support welcome

I feel like i have to keep trying to get my bod

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris

I have been taking it for about a month and I have absolutely no side effects but also no reduction in drinking.

If I was on a double blind trial I would be convinced I was on the placebo

• Posted

Is sertaline to help u stop drinking I've took 100mg today felt in well so took 4 cans off lager and dyhadracodine will this help please I'm in. Bits

• Posted

HI Chris. Good advice to you before 4am..i am impressed. good luck. Robin
  • Posted

Very happy to hear that the desire to drink has deminished.

never give up.

remember the worse day sober is better than the best day drinking.

• Posted

Hello Chris,

It is really difficult to continue medication, when the side-effects are so severe.  Yours seem really awful.  It has been advised to have something to eat, before taking the tablet.  Maybe try that, next time.

I wish you well on your journey.  Your willpower must be strong, for you to go so many days without alcohol.

Blessings from,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Hi Chris,

Yes, the side effects you are experiencing do seem to be common with Selincro.

It is worth noting that taking the tablet more often will allow your body to get used to it quicker.  I took 8 tablets over 9 days (with a drink 2 hours afterwards as you should - only one drink is needed to help the process that Selincro is designed to do) and the side effects did reduce each time.  For me, the disturbed sleep was the last thing to go.

The long term benefits of Selincro in reducing your alcohol consumption is well worth the short term discomfort of the side effects.  It is designed to help your brain recognise that alcohol is no longer rewarding, hence cravings reduce over time.   At the moment, the reason your drinking has dropped MAY just be because your desire has diminished due to not feeling well.  Once you have adjusted to the medication, your drinking MAY return to normal levels as the medication really gets down to the hard work of diminishing your cravings.  Again, this is perfectly normal and called a honeymoon period.  Not everyone gets this honeymoon period but I mention it in case you do - don't think that if this happens that it means the Selincro isn't working.

Other than that, the main thing you must do is remain 100% complaint.  NEVER drink without the tablet or before the waiting time.  You are wanting to allow your brain to recognise that alcohol is no longer rewarding and you won't be able to do this if you go uncompliant and allow the brain the rush sometimes - it will crave more in the hope that the next time it drinks, that rush MIGHT be there again.

If the side effects do not diminish, then it is worth going back to your prescribing physician, explaining the situation and asked to be swapped over to a medication called naltrexone.  This is a similar medication to Selincro, and does the same thing in blocking the endorphins that drinking gives you, and for a lot of people the side effects are much, much less than Selincro and more manageable.  Naltrexone is usually only given to help manage cravings in people who are already abstinent, but as I say it has the same action on the brain as Selincro does, so it is worth a discussion with your physician about if you find you cannot tolerate the Selincro.

• Posted

Thanks Joanna

I did read your diary on the 9 days you took Selincro and the side effects getting better with time and that gives me hope.I am worried that i'm taking them too many days apart and each time the side effects start over again like day 1. What do you think.

Anyway today is tablet 4 and the 1st time i'm taking it back to back. I still feel crap from yesterday and a space out sleep doesn't help. But i've just had a big breakfast and taken it. I will let you know how it goes.

I must explain that i'm fom Australia so time difference may look wierd but i can only try these tablets at the start of weekends due to work. Thanks for the link i will read it and i have also tried Naltrexone with no success. Cheers

• Posted

Until the side effects lessen, you could do with taking Selincro as often as possible to allow your body to get used to it.

You mention that you have taken naltrexone with no success.  Where you taking it daily and trying to remain abstinent, or taking it as you are now taking the Selincro ie. only on days that you drink?

This is quite important as naltrexone and nalmefene do the same thing in your brain - blocking the endorphins.  If you have already tried naltrexone in the same way as Selincro with no success, then it is possible that you are in the 10%-odd of people that don't respone to opioid-blocking medications for your drinking.  If one doesn't work in this way, then I don't see how the other would work either.

However, if you were prescribed naltrexone to be taken every day and try remain abstinent, then clinical studies show that it doesn't really work too well that way so I am not surprised it didn't work for you long term.

If you don't adjust to the Selincro, then in that case naltrexone would still be an option to consider - but using it exactly as you would the Selincro.  There are doctors in Australia who prescribe naltrexone this way, so if you don't adjust to Selincro, PM me and I will let you know who.

• Posted

Hi Joanna

Unfortunately after taking my 4th Selincro tablet it has now taken me 2 days to recover. I suffered so many side effects and felt like i had been poisoned. I will not and can not continue with this treatment.

You did ask me if i had taken Naltrexone before and i had about 5 years ago when my life was really bad and out of control, I didn't think it worked but i'm sure i didn't give it a chance, nothing would have worked back then as i was in self destruct. Since hitting rock bottom i have had some stretches of sobriety through AA but i hated it with a pasion.

I was hoping for a magic pill with Selincro but i just can't go through the horrific side effects. I have a doctor here in Australia who i can go and see regarding Naltrexone but i possibly will be a bit sceptical about it now.

Do you think it would be worth persueing as i feel i need something or some hope because i don't want to go back drinking alcoholically. Cheers Chris

• Posted

Yes, I do think it's worth pursuing naltrexone BUT only by taking it as per the same way you were trying to take Selincro.

You know you will not have the side effects with naltrexone since you have taken it before and the fact remains that the method works - it's just, like some others, you just cannot adjust to the Selincro at all.

I expect you when you were taking naltrexone previously, you were instructed to take it every day and struggle to maintain abstinence.  Clinically tests show that it doesn't work too well this way, so that is likely why it didn't work long term for you.

The method is solid when compliant, so yes discuss starting naltrexone but as per The Sinclair Method.  ie. an hour prior to drinking but only on days that you drink.

• Posted

I found hangovers easier to deal with than the side effects of nalmefene. I began being sick in less than 2 hours of the first tablet, anxious and exhausted and spaced out but unable to sleep at all. Also felt like my jaw was clamped together but like my teeth were jelly and would come out.

I'd love to try campral but the alcohol recovery place say it's only if you can quit alcohol altogether first. Surely if can give up over night then I don't need drugs to help 😔

• Posted

Hi emma, I really don't like the idea of taking tablets to reduce my alcohol.  You say you would like to do it without drugs - I have.

Can you chip it down each night.  I went from 2 bottles of wine a night to now 1 glass as a nightcap.  I am in my 6th week.  Also, the less I have, the more it affects me.  My one glass feels like a bottle.

Defo worth a go......................G.

• Posted

Took 1 tablet yesterday evening at 7pm, not really expecting any major side effects. I've taken Zyban for stopping smoking before and experienced no side effects, so foolishly expected the same with this. 

I didn't get a chance to try having a drink as the side effects kicked in within 30min - spaced out, echoing voices, blurry vision, everything in slow motion - realised I was also raising my voice while talking. Felt like I was tripping out - but I wasn't in a club, there was no lights or music & I was at home!

I have 2 small kids, so I ran into the bedroom. At this point I probably panicked so felt my heart start racing hard and got really hot and sweaty. Tried to do something to calm down to take my mind off this, but my brain was frazzled. Then had an urge to visit the toilet. I felt like I emptied my stomach. This continued through the night! Not pleasant.

By 9.30pm the echoing stopped and I felt I was back in the room, but now my body was tingling and cold air hurt when it touched me. Although, when under my duvet I felt too hot and generally very uncomfortable. Nothing would let me settle to fall asleep. At midnight I was really tired, but I just couldn't get comfortable and this was making me worry. The more I worried, the more uncomfortable I felt. Combine this with a visit to the loo to urinate every 15 min - all night!

I did not sleep and was up at 7am to take the kids to school! I felt whacked. 

If this is what it takes to stop drinking via a tablet, I think I'll go cold turkey.

This has given me a new level of motivation to stop for a month, alone using will power and memories of this tablet. This just isn't for me. 

• Posted

hear, hear................................ I found it to be awful and frightening..... never again.

I have tapered, with lots of stops, starts, ups and downs, but have managed to reduce by 200 units a month thank goodness.  I hope I can continue to improve, certainly feeling better, more relaxed.

Good luck smile

• Posted

Hi sue, yes I have done it this way, taper down, these tales of side effects are certainly pushing me away from ever trying.  I WILL do it myself I WILL do it myself etc etc.  Keep on I say........................G.
    • Posted

replied late after 13 days..how are you feeling today Sue?? Robin
    • Posted

ha thank you, but am enjoying wine right now....managing three drink days per week , aiming for three bottles per week but not always achieving; as tonight on second bottle.

truly want to stick to two or three bottles of wine per week.

I am finding its more related to my relationship with my husband; ie if he cannot move forward then neither can I

Need a guy who can accept me, warts and all

• Posted

2 or 3 bottles of wine per week is not a lot...seems to work for you!!
    • Posted

I agree Robin and sue, it is not a lot.  Certainly so much better than before and your organs must be thanking you.  Any big cut down is good (and yours is a big one).  All you can do is keep at it, that is what I am doing.  I feel great in no shaking hands and no dizziness, just the big down side is no sleep that is where alcohol is a breath of fresh air for a good nights kip. 

All we can do is keep at it.

• Posted

true Gwen, I also find it difficult to sleep when I haven't had a drink

• Posted

Update: There's definitely a link between resuming counselling and drinking more, in my case.

Started counselling again just over three weeks ago (had three sessions).  I always track on the Drinkaware app, and my consumption has hit 40 to 50 units per week for last two weeks.  

Now that I've seen this, i'll have to address it sad

Just shows how easy it is to have more just to block things out sad

• Posted

Yes it is easy - In desperation for sleep this weekend, I had a bottle of

wine both Sat and Sunday.  Feel good now but want to do it again tonight but know I dare not or I will be back to every day again.

I hate this being weak malarky - it stinks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.