Senior Health Issue

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 60 years old man just recently retire from a job of 45years. Recently experieced symptoms of heartburns. Doctor prescribed digestive medicines but does not alleviate the symptoms. These are affecting my sleep patterns and behavior in life, including:

Day1:

- Feeling shortness of breathes

- Nauseae

- No appetite

- Unable to lie down as it will make me feel chest tightens

Day 2:

- Unable to sleep at all, fear of enclosed area

- Feels better when walking outdoor

- Feels uncomfortable seeing dirty dishes/laundry

- No appetite

- Negative thoughts such as fear of not enough funds for retirement

- Sometimes unable to remember certain things

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Jo, have you considered anxiety? Sounds as though you have some concerns over retiring perhaps without enough funds. Is that the case? Can you possibly find a part-time job?

?What are you doing with your time now that you are retired?

Walking is great exercise and a de-stressor. Very good for you. It will increase your endorphins which will make you feel happier while also relieving anxiety. Walk at least once a day. Thoughts may bubble up when you walk and those may help you to figure out if your problem is anxiety over retiring.

You could also keep a daily journal. Just write what's on your mind. That may help you work things through also.

Re heartburn, do not eat late at night, avoid spicey foods, stay with bland for a while and avoid overeating in general. 

• Posted

Hi Beverly,

walking is good, but i have not sleep properly for the past 2 nights and it's taking a toll on my health. Does heartburn actually causes sleepless night and anxiety? does the symptoms show something else?

thanks

• Posted

You have not answered my question. Are you concerned about money and retirement? If so that could be the problem. Stress & anxiety can cause lack of sleep.

However, heartburn could also cause it if it happens at night. Do you know what acid reflux is? If not google it. The medication the doctor gave you may be for that. You have not named the medication.

Did you actually discuss ALL your issues with the doctor or just the heartburn? You actually sound a bit panicked, so if that is the case it is important you find the cause. Could it be that after knowing what you would do every day for 45 years created a sense of security and now that you have no structure it makes you very uncomfortable and lost?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.