sense of smell out of wacky after food poisoning and reflux

Posted , 2 users are following.

A week ago a hate a bad hotpocket lol. Woke up and had acid reflux coming out of my nose. Thr inside of my nose was burning intensely. Then came the vomiting and diarrhea. Felt better after a couple if days but now I have this strange smell. Its long a strong heavy spice. Usually around cooked meat ciggerette smoke and this morning when I walked into Panerai bread. Any thoughts?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Always be wary of fast foods. Ingredients used therein frequenty contain those that are more likely to trigger reflux: tomato suaces, processed meats, dairy products (cheese).

Your weird sense of smell may resolve itself if this was a one-off.

For 50 years I had extra-oesophageal reflux which affeced my sense of smell. Most of that time I was hyposmic (poor sense of smell - almost non-existent) though also had weird phantosmia (smelling non-eistent smells) at various times.

It wasn't until I had reflux reduction surgery, I discovered what I'd been missing all my life. (And I don't like many of the smells I now experience eek!)

Read the chapter on extra-oesophageal reflux in the www DownWithAcid org uk book / website.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. Hopefully it will go away on its,own. smile glad your sense of smell is back. Now u got to take the good odors with the bad lol
  • Posted

My only advice is to stop eating junk food and by junk food, i mean any food that has been processed. This is a lot of foods in restaurants, fast food places, frozen dinners, tinned foods, cereals etc. During processing, most of the nutrients are stripped, you may as well eat a carpet because it probably has more nutrition from the dirt left over by peoples feet as they walk on it. They make up for this nutritionless garbage by adding what they call fortified vitamins and minerals. This means the nutrients added were not part of the original food because a lot of the original nutrients were destroyed during processing. 

So now they can now label their product as being good/healthy for you because it now contains all these vitamins. In all honesty, you could grab a multivitamin and acheive the same results. It's a big marketing hood-wink and it has been going on for decades.

Cereal is a classis example. They use a process called extrusion on a lot of cereals. This extrusion process kills nutrients, so they add the vitamins back in afterwards. Added vitamins are not the complaint, the complaint is what is it doing to your body when you eat nutritionless food devoid of nutrients and fiber, well your issue right now is just one of them. Reflux, bowel issues, smell issues, i'm just scratching the surface here, but if you keep eating this crap over 10,20,30 years, you'll most probably end up with more than just a bit of diarrhea and reflux. Stick to fresh vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, some meat and fish. Basically sticking with foods that nature has provided and man has not screwed with is a good rule of thumb. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.