Serious medication issues

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone

The last 3 days have been hell for me. I called an ambulance out for what I thought was an asthma attack. Was taken to hospital. Nothing found. Was told I would need 6 tablets twice a day of steriods for 6 weeks. NO WAY was I taking those and I refused them. Steroids thin your bones and doesn't let your body absorb calcium. It is lucky I do so much research so know what to avoid. I have since found out thet the morphione tablets which I was put on two weeks ago were causing the issue. I did more reserch and found that these tablets can cause the tubes in your lungs to close up so it is like having asthma without the symptoms. This is why they found nothibng in A & E. I called out another ambulance last night and they gave me a nebuliser. I had not taken the meds for 48 hours so the nebuluiser re opened the air ways in my lungs and I felt so much better. I saw the GP this morning because I stopped taking the meds that were causing me all the issues aand I am back in cronick pain with my right hip which is collapsed. I am going back onto the medication. But at the lowest does I can get. After more research 5 mg. I will see how I get on with those. If I can last 3 - 4 weeks on those I will hopeful;ly have had my pre op and will be in hospital for my operation before I get any more complicatins. I know a lot of folk say don't listen to anything the internet tells you or take it with a pinch of salt. But saying that if I had not done my research I or my GP may not have known the real issue with the meds. I have bought a heat pad which is helping a lot till I can pick up my new meds this afternoon. Just had my appointment through to see my surgeon when he will give mt a date for my operation. His secretary has told me he doesn't want me suffering like this any longer and wants to get me in quick. Everything else has now gone right all leg swelling has gone all the cellulitis has gone. I just hope I can get past the next few weeks without something else going wrong now..

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Poor Hailea, what a lot to deal with. Here's hoping you stay status quo until the RTHR.  Hoping you can get some relief from pain as well. 

Best wishes

Juliet x

• Posted

Hi Hailea this sounds very complicated, and guess that you are just one of the few on the fringes of the meds aplications the odd few that have complications, and well done in getting to the bottom of it and advising your GP, well it is a team effort, and this post just emphisises that we do have a responsibility to ourselves, and not to trust the GPs without looking into it ourselves, things for you could have got very much worse very quickly, so well done, take a bow....and keep us informed as to how you are going on in the next few days... Ian+++
    • Posted

Hi Ian

I am diagnosed with Asthma. But I do not suffer with it very often and very rarly have to even take my meds for it I have only once since 2007 when first diagnosed been in A & E with it so I know if something isn''t right if it flares up. You are right about trust with GP's. It isn't like the old days when you saw the same GP every time you went and they knew you and your history. Yes it couls have gone south very quickly as you say.  Thank you Ian. I hope you get your op as planned tomorrow. x

• Posted

I am sure I echo everyone else's sentiments on this forum when I say that I sincerely hope nothing else causes you any more distress. You certainly are having to face a lot of challenges. You'll be a new woman after your surgery, 

Morphine depresses your respiratory system and if you already have respiratory problems should be used with caution. Not sure how much longer you need to wait but if it's a matter of months I would see if you can be provided with something else. I was on a norspan patch and it was very very good in managing my pain.

all the very best 🌈💌🌈💌

• Posted

Thanks Georgie.

I tried another make of patches called BuTrans and they made me very ill I ended up in hospital because of them.. So I can't use those which it a shame because they did work well till they affected me so bad. Yes I know anything to do with morphine supresses the airways. This is why I am always worried about taking anything like that and I am not happy about taking high doeseAlthough I do have very good control of my asthma and have only once been in hospital because of it. I only have about 6 weeks till my surgeon gets me in. I won't get a solid date till I see him on 27th August. He is on annual leave at the moment. But is fully aware of my pain issues and wants me in ASAP

I know some people with Asthma are affected by ibuprophen. But I didn't used to be so I am asking the doctor if I can take some anti inflamatrys to help. It was mentioned last time I spoke to one of my GPs. I know it isn't in the body for long so if I have issues I can just stop taking it. So maybe that is the way to go. It is trial and error till I can find something to help with the pain. It won't be for much longer thankfully. :-)

• Posted

Aww hailea ... so sorry to hear about this ... goodness girl ... good for you to have done your research ... all these side effects etc. are available to us, but we don't take the time to read it - the list is so incredibly long ... I only read  them when I feel that there is something off ... 

Hopefully your surgeon will get you in sooner - 

Take good care of your self ... nurture and be gentle ...

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Good Morning Renee

It's ok. I know things have been  a real rollercoaster ride. I have now got a heat pillow to help with the pain and it is thankfully I have never had so many medication issues in my life. At least the doctors are listening to me. If I can't take them I can't take them or need a lower does.

Still got something to be happy about today. I managed to get myself a recliner chair. It was £400 and I got it for just under  £120 brand new so that is my early birthday present to myself. It will be here in 10 days. Just in time for my second hip.biggrin

Hugs to you and thank you Renee.

• Posted

Gosh you are are going through it. Hope things improve and thaat your new dose works with no extra side effects.
    • Posted

Hi annedi

Things are much better today thank you.

I have a few niggles but that is because when I try to move or walk the right hip is now so bad it feels like it is moving in the socket and the knee twists and so do the  bones in the lower leg. But they try to twist. Not much can be done about this till I get my op so just got to bear it. not much longer and I will be having it sorted.

Thank you annedi. :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.